Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Thought We Were All Working Together?

Will give it a couple of days to see if anything changes - it will also give me time to finish my assignment - which obviously I am completely wasting my time on as I really don't need much grey matter to work with young children - just a degree in hanging around drinking coffee I suppose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD:(:(

Work with young children??? I thought all you did was play! :o

Edited by Rea

"not a proper job" oh how that sounds familiar! Maybe they have just been listening into us saying this and not realised by "not proper" we mean that we don't receive the pay and conditions we deserve and yet we keep going doing the job to the best of our ability and taking on more without question. They must have thought we meant it was just playing - doh! it's all our own fault :o

Fascinating reading, great to hear everyone is so passionate about what they do. The government/DCSF really don't deserve such a dedicated workforce.

How about starting a petition on the downing street website to get proper recognition for the work done by early years staff and particularly those in preschools?

I would do it if only I had time in between rewriting our operational plan, sorting job descriptions and contracts and getting organised for a training day on Friday (oh and doing my paid job as well). :(xD:o

I've had this reply to my email today, so at least they've seen it:

Thank you for your email.

I have forwarded your email to the Department for Children, Schools and Families, who are responsible for the content you have commented on. A member of their team will contact you soon.

Kind regards,

Tony Butcher

Directgov Helpdesk

It hasn't changed today. I've emailed the CWDC to draw their attention to it too.

It's galling enough when, although we have 78 children at our voluntary committee run preschool, we're still at the back of the queue for valuable training (it goes to CC staff first) without reading something like this, which basically undermines everything we stand for.

Sam

I too have made my complaint. What an outdated, old fashioned and insulting load of old rubbish this is. I am also going to write directly to the government, outlining my absolute disgust!!

Have they not read the ten year strategy, ECM, EYFS or anything else? Perhaps instead of working by butt off to gain EYPS and getting my setting up to outstanding, I should just have opened up the door to some "volunteers and parents" and let the little darlings just play.

I urge all of you who have complained to also write directly to the government. This is an absolute disgrace.

Steam is still coming out my ears as I type!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

:o I've had a reply.............

Thank you for your email dated 26 January about the description of pre-schools and playgroups on the Directgov website.

We agree that the description of pre-schools and playgroups could be more accurately described to better reflect the professionalism and standards that these settings operate to. The Department is in contact with Directgov website editors to ensure that the appropriate changes to the text are made as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Cathy Horrocks

Public Communications Unit

www.dcsf.gov.uk

Power to the People!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD Wonder how they'll describe you this time....?!

Nona

I'm surprised they haven't asked us to write it to save them a job. Unless they have realised what a bolshy lot we are and are worried about what we might say.

Had my reponse this morning - nice to know the powers that be have listened to our combined voices :o

"Thank you for your email dated 24 January about the description of Preschool Playgroups on the Directgov website. I have been asked to reply.

The Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) are aware of some inconsistencies on the website with regard to the description of childcare settings and early learning providers.

The Department is in contact with Directgov website editors to ensure that the appropriate changes to the text are made as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Janet McNamara

Public Communications Unit"

Guest jenpercy

Actually the childminder one was inaccurate rtoo, as it implied that childminders of under 3s don't have to provide EYFs and don't need to be registered

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)