Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Top 10 Tips

Hi.

We are making a referral to SALT for a little boy who is otherwise bright and achieving, but he is consistently missing his initial letter sounds (..issors, not scissors, ...ook, not book). We have got Mum on board and she has asked for some tips she can use at home, especially as the SALT waiting list is very long here.

We've suggested modelling good language, which she does already.

No dummy, except for bedtime

Fun sound games such as animal sounds with toys (sssssssssss with a snake etc)

Lip games (blowing bubbles)

using a mirror

What would you add as your Top 10 Tips?

Hi just did not want to read and leave, we also do bubble blowing, bubble painting, lotto games with all thing of a certain letter, using faviourite toy to mimic sounds. I have a folder at work with loads of ideas in but I am working from home today, I will try to remember to post some more on Monday when I return to work

using a straw with drinks...

and our SALT used jolly phonics a lot...( I don't know if this is still used but for a game making sounds it was really good) as the action to go with a sound made it fun to do... he came to the setting and played the game with all the children, just finding a picture and then repeating sound and action.. (something along the lines of d d d d drum...) choosing the sounds the particular children needed more than others ..

children saw it as a fun game and always spent ages there... he taught us to do the same so we could play the game everyday... sometimes I would introduce a puppet to give the picture to or pictures to pick up with a 'fishing rod' just variations on a theme.. it was the fun of doing the action and sound together which they all picked up quickly..

Inge

Get him to actually touch and identify the parts of his mouth that are making the sound, so to put a finger on his tongue, his lips, etc. Where it's a lip sound like 'p', put his hand up in front of his mouth to feel the movement and the air coming out.

Children do not always hear that they are missing sounds or pronouncing them incorrectly. It might be a good idea firstly for the child to have a hearing check just in case there is a pitch missing in his hearing, just to rule this out. Listening and hearing sounds is the first stage in correcting his speech. I would tackle sound discrimination playing listening games such as identifying environmental sounds, loud sounds, soft sounds, the sort of activities we usually do anyway. I would also identify one sound that is missing and play games where he has to pick out the objects beginning with that sound from a group of others. You could do this with random objects or use two groups limiting it to two sounds that you wish him to differentiate. Make it very easy at first. Learning to hear the difference is the first stage.

Thank you for all your comments. I'm busy typing up a list of ideas for Mum including the ones you mention. As you say, we do most of what to you've mentioned in the setting but it's great to reinforce these at home.

By the way a quick google produced the Mr Tongue story which was really helpful. You can find it here:

http://www.wiltshirepct.nhs.uk/SpeechandLa...f_Mr_Tongue.pdf

• 4 months later...
Thank you for all your comments. I'm busy typing up a list of ideas for Mum including the ones you mention. As you say, we do most of what to you've mentioned in the setting but it's great to reinforce these at home.

By the way a quick google produced the Mr Tongue story which was really helpful. You can find it here:

http://www.wiltshirepct.nhs.uk/SpeechandLa...f_Mr_Tongue.pdf

I've made a Power Point of the Mr Tongue story that you are all welcome to use if you think it will be helpful :o

Mr_Tongue.pptx

Thank you miisblinx and Rosemarie, these are going to be superb for three children in my class, I needed something new for them.

• 1 month later...

Hi, just wanted to say thank you to missblinx and rosemarie for your posts as they are so useful. the sheet on how to say sounds is really informative and Im sure I will be able to make up some games using these.

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)