Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"uniforms"

Just wondered what others think about pre-schools having children in uniform?

On the one hand the idea almost horrified me, the thought of tiny children running round in uniform seemed ridiculous and over the top but then I thought it was just the word 'uniform' that resulted in my thoughts. Terms such as 'children dressed the same' don't result in me thinking along those lines.

I have decided to ask as a result of an article I was reading about the diverse range of pre school settings in which it said. "If parents value their three year olds in uniform such settings should be available" but there was almost an element of negativity in the statement.

After consultation with parents we introduced 'uniform' in our preschool last September. It has been met with approval by parents, staff, children, visitors you name it and the feedback has been positive.

We did not say it was compulosry, just that we would like children to wear it and without exception all parents agreed.

Gone are the days of the high heeled barbie shoes, the impractical tight lycra miniskirts, the long flowing dressings, the dungarees, jeans children cannot undo etc etc etc and the only way I can describe it is an evidence of an increase in the children's own sense of pride. It has had nothing but a positive impact in several ways but would be interested to hear others views.

Geraldine,

Out of interest, what is your "uniform"?. In our pre-school the children can wear a sweatshirt with our logo on it, but that's as far as it goes at the moment. I know what you mean about unsuitable chothes though!! :o

We are looking at tops for our children after parents have requested them .. we are thinking of t shirts, polo shirts, sweat shirts and base ball caps ... we are hoping to have them in a range of colours so the children can choose the colour they want.

Carol

We introduced sweatshirts this year at the request of the parents. It has worked really well and I think that it definately makes the children feel more part of the playgroup. Not only that they look really cute when they're all sat together! :D Parents are now starting to ask about tshirts for the summer.... :o

We have polo shirts and sweatshirts with our logo on. The sweatshirts are V neck and there is also an optional cardigan (sweatshirt material) Then its just 'grey' for the bottom half. The boys all wear trousers and the girls wear whatever mum chooses, some have skirts some have pinafores. We did not go as far as the tights/ socks but the girls all wear either grey or red tights /white socks. We chose the grey with the older ones in mind really, it is the colour for our feeder schools so when they go on to school they can still wear 'the bottom half' if it fits. In the summer I presume the boys will change to shorts, not sure about the girls probably still skirts and just polo shirts. Not thinking of introducing summer dresses :o

We had a big debate about the logo - to have on just sweatshirts, just polo shirts or both! we concluded the answer was both so this term they have two logos!! but you cant see the polo shirt one and in the summer they will abandon sweatshirts and still have a logo - gosh this sounds confusing!!!

Our pre-school has T-shirts and sweatshirts available for purchase (same colour/logo as staff uniform). There is virtually no uptake!

Children's dress, generally, causes me problems! Dungarees, tights, and what I call "tricky tousers" .... I now have boys who say "can you help me, I've got tricky trousers" or "mum didn't give me tricky trousers today"!

I'm not happy with a child wearing wellies indoors all session (not sure why, but I'm not, perhaps because wellies are outdoor wear), nor high heels/flip-flops for safety reasons (I find them something alternative for physical activities).

I keep asking for parents to be given information on suitable dress. It's not up to me. Unfortunately, I'm the staff member who covers toilets/changing much of the time.

How do you go down this route with parents/carers? What advice do you give, and how?

Diane.

We stipulate in our information sheets the sort of clothes the children should wear, or should not. So we ask that they are in easily managed trousers, no belts, no dungarees, no long dresses or skirts. We explain why and that it is so the children can have independence and can play with ease. We also ask that they send them in clothes that they don't mind getting paint on etc. Our group is in a fairly affluent area and the designer labels they come in!! My staff worry sometimes but I now take the attitude that they will only get paint on them once and parents might just learn!

Linda

Ohh designer labels :( We had a little girl who came in a pure white fur jacket :o

I lost count of the number of children who mauled it (oops I mean stroked it!) think it was a slightly darker shade of white after a few days!! Then we had one arrive in a lovely navy classic little girls coat with velvet collar complete with matching velvet hat and muff xD

Oh and is it only my setting that has a problem with shoes!!!! We do ask for them to be named but it isnt always done. We currently have four little girls all with the same clarks patent shoes and we have sizes 8 81/2 9 and 91/2 home time was great fun the other day with two un named pairs :D

We have tshirts, sweatshirts in variety of colours, uptake is varied, but once they get thier own clothes mucky a few times they are often bought. we also have second hand sales if they are returned in a suitable condition.

It helps that the staff all wear uniform too, we have for 7 years now. we are supplied with t shirts and swaetshirts to wear, and this year by popular demand the staff now have polo shirts and fleece jackets. both with logos on.

very often the children ask to wear the 'uniform' to be like us.

we also give a code of dress to parents for clothes easy to manage by the child, and i reinforce this in the newsletters. This year it has been sucessful, next year we await and see.....

Shoes.... high heels unable to climb run or any physical activity,..... tight boots unable to get on or off......laces that are so long you never seem to stop them tripping on them......and now 2 pairs of laces in each shoe......as well as two the same with no name....and one 4yr old who never knows what she came in, cannot identify her own shoes at all....

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)