Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Document 'numbers And Patterns' Ready To Download

Aunt Sally

I merely state what the Early Years Nat start regional advisors told us today.

Quite so - and presumably if there's something in there we find helpful there's nothing to stop us nicking some good ideas is there? :o

Maz

Update - this publication http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.g...1?uc=force_deep

From an EYs Consultants national event today I learned that it is actually intended for Reception and Year 1, you will notice it is actually published under Primary Strategy rather than early years. (It's a blue coded document rather than a green one!)

This is why LAs are only able to order for maintained settings I'm afraid. They won't have copies to distribute to pre school settings as they can't get them themselves!

The other doc http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.g...9?uc=force_deep is for all practitioners and the order forms for LAs are on their way to get copies to distribute. There seems to have been a glitch in getting the order forms out to us.

Cx

No copies in schools either ...

I merely state what the Early Years Nat start regional advisors told us today.

Cx

owww were you there Catma ???- i was too and yes they said it was not for early years although some bits could be pulled out :o

In Dexter house??? How funny if we were!!

Cx

Advisor didn't know what I was talking about

Maybe. It all depends WHO the email goes to in the LA to order them. In this instance it primarily went to the Numeracy consultant lead in my LA. The order form goes to the nominated EYs lead generally so it will always depend on how that is communicated to others in the team. If they haven't had their order form yet (they are being staggered to accommodate printing and delivery) they may not even know they are going to order it.

Edited by catma

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why in theory you can order a proper copy of this from teachernet, but when you get as far as finalising the order, it then tells you that you can't order it?!

Tried ordering it by emailing dfes prolog (as is another option on teachernet, rather than adding to your basket on there) and had an email saying that orderline is now closed - helpful, not sure why teachernet are still suggesting people use it then!!

Then emailed teacher publications people - had a response that didn't really help!

So wondered if any of you lovely people who know about these things has any ideas??

Thanks and no worries if not - would just rather have it as a proper document having looked at it online.

Does anyone know why in theory you can order a proper copy of this from teachernet, but when you get as far as finalising the order, it then tells you that you can't order it?!

I can't comment on why the website is so rubbish as far as providing information about what you can order and why, but I think catma's explanation of how it all works within Local Authorities was pretty clear on how it will be delivered to settings, if you read a few posts back.

It is annoying - it is usually the ones you really want to see that are restricted, isn't it?

Maz

Its a pretty hefty folder, and to be honest its quite 'schooly' focussed so I wouldn't lose too much sleep if you are in a pre school and cant access it yet. If you are in a school, Id ask whoever usually takes delivery of new documents (very often the deputy!) and see if they have either received a copy (and its sat on a shelf) or are aware of its existence. (they should be but thats in an ideal world).

In the meantime, you can download it and have a peek to see if anything is likely to be if use to you.

• 1 month later...

My hard copy of this arrived in the week - in a lovely folder and everything! After I had printed off the bits I wanted I might add!

Was on a course today (not to do with the document) and the leader who is head of Early yrs and KS1 in the LA said that it is mainly for year 1, not for Reception, and is not akin to Letters and Sounds (in that it isn't a programme to work through). Hmmmmmm!

I agree with your LA person, purplemagic, to be honest, there is some really useful things in there, especially for thinking about transition into year one, but I think some of the 'phasing' and terminology could be confusing, if you're not really a a 'mathsy' person.

Id be delighted to hear that noone else thinks that and its just me though!

Purplemagic, how did you manage to get a hard copy? I thought it was only available to download, and It's way to big to print out.

I meant to post about this the other day. Our Local Authority has apparently ordered a copy for every PVI setting, so perhaps the hard copies are on their way now!

Maz

ive just got my hard copy too i love shiny new folder but then i see your post purple magic and my good intention to have a flick through tonight is waning ha x

I ordered 2 over the phone ages and ages ago... mine not here yet... not sure if they'll be coming from LA or teachernet... hope they're here soon - especially by Easter holidays - I can't think of a beter way to spend those 2 weeks :o !

They appeared in school - maybe the fairies brought them?! :o

Was quite funny actually as the LA lady was saying they really needed to do some training on it, then said it was mostly for year 1, and I thought hmmmm yes the year 1 teacher at my school really will need training!!

Am quite glad it is mainly for them actually - while I would actually quite like something mathsy with developmental objectives (or something - not sure if I mean quite that...) for each scale area of PSRN, it would need to be very flexible so we could all fit it into our very different curriculums.

We had training on thgis document this week and I am very impressed with it. It is for Reception and Year 1 - certainly not mainly year 1 as out of the six phases 4 are much more relevant to Reception. I feel people certainly need training in it though as without being pointed in the right direction it can be quite confusing to find your way round. There are some lovely ideas for activities in it.

well i did give it a flick through and it oes have some lovley ideas and has given me a kick up the botom to revamp my numeracy area x

You can't order it. You just get sent a flyer which is 1 piece of paper. LAs are giving out 1 per setting, so crank up the printer...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)