Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent's Signing Children In And Out

We've always had the children self register and we also take a 'fire' register too. However, as we are expecting the 'knock' anyday now I've been reading recent inspection report on the Ofsted website.

One thing that pops up now and then is about parents signing the children in and out.

Do you do this?

If so, do you have pre-printed lists for each day/week or do parents just write in their childs name and time?

Thanks.

We used to do it but it was such a faf. Parents all came in at the same time so if there was a queue they didnt bother. A member of staff stays at the door now and signs each child in/out. They also take a more formal register, but I have a feeling they dont self register anymore.

I suppose it might be different in settings where the children tend to arrive at different times.

we always did signing in and out with column for time of arrival and time of leaving, who was to be collecting that day, and always used it.. if parents had to queue they did so and still do.. it was part of our policies and if they didn't we reminded them on collection ..

we didnt have a preprinted list each day, but a blank sheet with columns and titles, they filled in the blanks... we checked when parents had left in the morning ..

never had a problem getting them to fill it in..

they still do it and when the file is not out they ask for it..

May seem like a lot of noting arrivals and leaving as we did the preschool register and children did self registration, but it did mean we all knew exactly who was in and didn't take long to do..

Inge

I have a member of staff on the door who writes the time the children arrive against their names and when they leave we write the time against their name. If a child leaves during the session for any reason parent also signs them out and gives the reason on the general setting page which we use for staff and visitors with times of arrival and departure. This is the only register we have, it is used for fire regs etc.

The children self-register by finding their name cards and putting them in a box each morning.

This is quite a slick process now and does not take very much time.

We have a list of names of children for each day, when they arrive a staff member is at the door and she signs them in. When the parent goes they are asked who is picking up and whether the child is staying for lunch. Children are signed out in the same way at pick up time.

Children self register by adding their names to our drinks board (i.e. what drink do you want at snack time and they stick the name up with has velcro).

We have a signing in and out sheet on a clipboard in a wall pocket near the door for parents to sign the time their children arrive and leave. The children self register with name card, velcro backed onto a felt board on a cupboard door after they've hung their coats. We then take a whole group register at 910 - 915.

Our children can arrive anytime between 840-910 the remainder are booked to arrive at 910. The parents sign in has really helped in encouraging parents to be punctual, especially picking their children up.

We do the same as Inge ref signing in/out

We have a column for a phone number the parent will be on that day ie mobile /home

Just had Ofsted they were please with it

When we were inspected a few years ago we were told firmly by Mrs O that we MUST get parents to sign the children in / out. She said this was chiefly for our protection so that, if a parent ever queried that their child had / had not attended or for what times we would have evidence. We have therefore done this ever since.

We also do self-registration by asking the children to find their peg names from a board and then they attach them with velcro to the peg they want to choose for that day.

Gruffalo2

Thanks for your replies everyone. You've confirmed that I need to get this set up now - I like the bit about focussing parents minds on being puncutal :o.

thanks again

RR

I'm a little confused by all this as I have always understood a register to be a legal document and the responsibility of who ever is in charge? For some of you it seems you dont have one just a blank sheet that parents fill in on arrival and departure? Why do you need a parents signature to confirm their child was in that day, surely your marking them in should suffice, it does in schools.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)