Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degrees Level 5!

Oh Diane, what can I say?

It must be soul destroying for you to work where your worth is not recognised. I'm amazed you have the strength to carry on - I doubt I would in your position.

I wonder what your leader and her deputy will say when they hear the glad tidings that they'll need the equivalent of your Foundation Degree to run a pre-school group according to the Government's childcare strategy?

Keep your chin up, and keep scanning the 'sits vac' for a group who will welcome you with open arms and exploit your talents and your enthusiasm to the full!

Maz

Dianne get your managment to read the governments 10 yr statigy else you will be running the place after your FD and they will be out of jobs..... Please if you dont mind me asking did you get funding????? and i agree with Maz you certainly dont need to do an NVQ if you are doing FD!!!!!! :D:D:D

Go on Maz!

On the subject of funding - yes I have received 3 courses paid for, 2x£500 bursaries, plus the loan of laptop/printer. However, that's it now - I'll be self-funded after my current course. I was expecting funding for the whole FD, but unfortunately, the government have moved the goal posts! It has been decreed that since I already have a bachelor's degree (totally unrelated to early years), I no longer qualify for any financial support towards the EYFD. I gather that DfES/Sure Start funding is no longer available to new starters, but there are means-tested grants (course fees and bursaries, non-repayable) to students for whom the EYFD is their first degree.

What's stoppong you, then Maz?

Diane

Oooh ladies, there's nothing like throwing down the gauntlet, is there?

I am seriously thinking about it, honest! I have a lot to consider though, thinking about how it will fit in with my teaching, and also whether I should do the PGCE/Cert Ed which is the next logical step for my teacher training.

I guess I have come to the point in my career (if you can call the series of fortunate coincidences, opportunities and lucky breaks a career!) where I have to make some serious decisions. Do I stay working in early years or do I concentrate on Further Education? I strongly feel that early tutors need to 'keep their hands in' to make sure their knowledge is up to date and relevant. I guess my challenge is to come up with some blend of jobs and courses of study which enable me to 'have my cake and eat it'.

And as I'm just off to meet my boss for a Profile meeting, and have been sorting through my papers, I've just come across the newsletter from our Early Years team.

Before I go I'll share some of their words of wisdom:-

"there is an aim that eventually 60% of the early years and childcare workforce will be qualified to degree level. This will raise the status of those working with young children and can only be a benefit. Pay levels will also become more realistic and in line with other professionals working with children".

So diane, to use your words: "what's stopping me then?!"

I can feel my status raising as I type, but have a nagging feeling the more realistic pay may be a long time coming....

Decisions, decisions...

Maz

Another reason for doing the foundation degree ( forgetting for a second, the qualification at the end, any status that might result etc etc) is DO IT FOR YOU! For no other reason than you are interested, the sense of achievement, of a job (or assignment !) well done is great!!! No matter how we may view our own abilities it is nice to have some of them confirmed and to receive constructive criticism as to how we can do things better.

Maybe when ( and if) I get my foundation degree, it may be a passport to some new wonderful job, maybe an increase salary (we can hope!) maybe lots of things but the driving force behind the hours I put in, the burning candle at both ends as assignment cut off dates loom is because I WANT to do it, not neccesarily need to or feel I have to because of some strategy or other but I am very happy, yes there are the hair pulling moments of despair but overall I am enjoying it. I like to think my practice continues to improve and the children gain as a result and that what its all about!

Sorry Hali, the funding!

The DfES introuduce special support funding for students studying the degree on a part time basis ( irrelevant of which institution they studied with) They provided up to £750 a year for the first two years of study, towards the cost of course fees and these were paid directly to the course provider. They also gave £500 bursary a year for two years which is non repayable. They also lent a laptop computer and printer for three years. This was totally non means tested but was done on first come first served basis. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and got a claim in quickly.

Covering the cost of any course is always a consideration and whilst I appreciated the funded I never expected the government to finance the total cost of my study. My youngest son is in his final year at Uni and the government certainly dont finance his study to anything like the degree (oops no pun intended!) they have mine. The total cost of courses I will have to pay for the foundation degree is approximately £1380 but bearing in mind I had the bursary total of £1000 I will dip into my own pocket to the tune of £380 but which really isn't alot.

The specifice funding I mention has now ceased but has been replaced by a new scheme. I don't know what it entails but am sure it will be on a website somewhere!

Try 'funding for foundation degree' in your search engine.

I do know of people who have had courses paid for, or a contribution to the cost given by their local EYDCP and good old surestart always have money to spend - they may be worth a try.

Good luck to all those trying to decide

Go on be a devil, you wont't regret it :D

I did contact business link yesturday who are doing our IiP as am sure they spoke to me about being able to fund courses, our bursery lady at early years is off this week so will speak to her next week.

Thank you Geraldine :D:D:D

Geraldine, I agree with you totally!

You have to want to do it - even if the strategy says you should, if you don't really want to do the course you won't put your heart into it, and you won't get the most out of it.

As a tutor I know that its so much more rewarding to teach students who really want to be there - and we all learn so much more from each other, too.

Hali - I have sent an email to the early years team to express my interest - not committing myself you understand!! At least then she'll have some idea of how many students will be sharing her money!

Maz

Well,I would so much like to do FD, but I am a bit scared that I like foreign maybe would find it difficult. Does they judge your language abilities? I been told that ,once I am back to England I can get founding , something to do with council tax. We pay all taxes while we in Germany but we do not use them. I do not know to much about this things, does that make sens to you?

This thread has mad an interestin read.

I have a colleague who is curerntky an integration asst who would like to do the FD, but wasnt sure what entry reuqiemenets there may be. She has NVQ3 now but left school with no qualifications at all. would she be required to do Enhglish GSCE or an access course for example?

thanks folks, Im sure one of you will have the answers.

Certainly, the OU do not "insist" upon any formal academic qualifications for FD degree course enrollment. Although "guidance" said that students needed a relevant NVQ3 (or equivalent) qualification, even this was not rigidly adhered to.

I suspect that the requirements for working experience (i.e. 2 years' working experience in EY) may be more stringently applied.

Like Geraldine, I'm not clued-up on current EYFD-specific funding. I know that the OU, however, administer fee grants/bursaries (means-tested), on the government's behalf. These are available to OU EYFD students (but only if they do not already have a first degree).

Incidentally, I qualified for similar fees funding (no bursary) - from the government, via OU - hence I did not receive DfES fees funding. I did, however, get the DfES bursaries and laptop loan. Quirks in the system!

I have enjoyed getting the first 60 points towards the 240-point FD. AND - I now have a level 4 equivalent qualification to show for it.

I started on the FD because I was getting very desparate for formal training (having done an IPP back in 1999). I had been trying to get on a DPP course, but my setting was unable/unwilling to fund it, and felt they couldn't cope (as a setting, because the leader/deputy were doing NVQ3's). In April 2003, I went to a general OU open day in Cambridge (having been given a flyer by a local childminder, becuase there was "vague" mention of EY training courses). The OU staff from Education and Language Studies were so encouraging. I enrolled for my first course instantly (after the closing date - but strings were pulled) and started in May 2003. Here by default, I suppose, but no looking back!

I recommend it!

Diane

• 5 months later...

I am trying to help my sister - who is NVQ 3 find info re: foundation degree. Is it a 2 year course with a 1 year degree top up and then a 1 year PGCE. She is looking into 1 day a week release from school but can't work out how long it will take her before she might benefit from more money!

LGM

I am trying to help my sister - who is NVQ 3 find info re: foundation degree. Is it a 2 year course with a 1 year degree top up and then a 1 year PGCE. She is looking into 1 day a week release from school but can't work out how long it will take her before she might benefit from more money!

LGM

35453[/snapback]

Hi LGM - what job is your sister doing at the moment? Does she plan to qualify as a teacher? As I understand it, it will take four years to qualify as a teacher through the Foundation Degree route, just as you said. Has she spoken to her local FE college? And if her school is supporting her through this process, surely they must have some information?

Good luck in your quest for information.

Maz

I've been quickly reading through all these posts and it strikes me that once again there seems to be so many options/alternatives/routes to go down. Whilst I suppose this is welcomed because we all have different reasons/constraints etc for studying - the water does seem to be a bit muddy. I am a little depressed as I am now nearly three years into a nursery management degree and applied for a job which I felt was more than qualified to do and I didn't even get an interview. I think I made a small cock up on the application form but as I am only one of 8 people in the country undertaking this degree and the job spec and person specification matched felt that I should have at least been given the opportunity of an interview but alas no - not deemed good enough. Have passed all my modules bar 2 with an A - so feeling really depressed about it all. As others say I love doing my degree, the best thing I have ever done - I, as others do, work incredibly hard burning the midnight oil and whilst I do it for me and I am also doing it because as a single parent supporting 3 kids need some sort of career plan but my efforts seem to be thwarted and whilst I really enjoy it I am not necessarily doing it for the fun because as many of you know sometimes it is not fun - its flaming hard work - rewarding but hard work - so I am slightly depressed by the fact that we all seem to be working incredibly hard, we are showing our commitment but at the end of the day will there be a career path or more improtantly financial reward to match as they suggest in the Workforce Strategy? Wtih the new consultation out on the Early years, new goals posts being defined yet again, I am beginning to think that we will never get it right and like Peggy was feeling not so long ago I wonder why I am doing all this. Of course, I like working in early years, I love the children but sometimes I feel that I am subsidising my life and my family life for others and am not too sure how long I will continue - I will finish my degree but the way I feel at the moment, will do it for me and when I have got it will just leave early years to other people and take up a post as a Nanny or such like - Sainsbury's here I come. Sorry but am feeling particularly demotivated at the moment and am really not looking foward to the new term - sometimes just seems in the too hard box - there are so many other easier ways of earning a living.

Depressed Nikki

Oh Nichola,

I am sorry you are feeling the way you are, but fully understand it. ( as you know).

I can only guess by the commitment you show at keeping up to date with everything that you would be LOST without some form of work within the early years profession.

It's the first few days of the holiday, we are all tired and maybe feeling unappreciated ( I certainly am when only 3 parents out of 30 turn up for end of year open day to look at their childs R.O.Transfer to celebrate their childrens achievements).

What has made me feel good though is when writing the Record of Transfers I am reminded of how all the children have successfully made advances toward the ELG's some reaching the "green" level, and also the special needs child with autism who attended and thoroughly enjoyed his first out of home or preschool social event ( my grandson's 4th birthday party). Something he may not have achieved so soon had he not attended my preschool.

Have a well earned break and enjoy your holiday and if you still feel you are not looking forward to the new term there are many other career choices that still involve the early years. Or you could always come and work for me, :) I think we would be a formidable team with all our knowledge, and woa betide any people who come into the setting who undervalued us or expected us to "prove our worth", we, together would send them packing with their tails between their legs. :o .

I know you can't work with me, but to know someone with the same principles and convictions does give strength in times of change, uncertainty and frustration.

Peggy

p.s. I shall post a new topic later to let you all know my progress with applying to be a Foster carer, it's good news :D

Hi LGM. Those of my collegaues who have followwed tis route into teaching, if I understand you correct, did one year foundation degreee, released frm school to do so, then 2 years to top up to fulll degree, then followed the GTP route into teaching. It still takes 4 years but there would be no need to give up an income as she could train on the job (unless of course she wanst to!!)

Peggy we wil be lookng forwad to reading about your 'good news'

Thanks Peggy - am feeling better but had set my heart on this job as it fitted everything I have done and would have suited me perfectly and got my out of a real hole financially but what will be will be. Having said all that I am not too sure whether I am ready to give up working with the children so maybe it wasn't the right time, but am cross with myself for not putting up a better application.

Nikki

Thanks Peggy - am feeling better but had set my heart on this job as it fitted everything I have done ... but am cross with myself for not putting up a better application.

Nikki

35497[/snapback]

Nikki

I do honestly believe things happen for a reason, although I can understand your frustration and disappointment. Are you in a position to telephone and ask for feedback as to why you weren't offered an interview? It may be disheartening to listen to what they've got to say, but you may gain a useful insight into their decision making process.

I've said before that Early Years needs people like you who are dedicated and knowledgeable and hardworking. Its hard to keep motivated when you're feeling so undervalued and despondent.

I hope you enjoy some quality time off, and can begin the new term feeling more positive.

Take care

Maz

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is currently doing the unit:'Personal and professional development: early years settings. As i have just started this course and i have to produce an appropraite professional development plan based on an appraisal that was carried out by my line manager. I was wondering if anyone has done it before and how they managed.

Thanks

Hy

I had to do this for E215v Extending personal professional development adapted the one I had used for an ECA on E115 tended to look at how i wanted to develop myself and the benefits this would have. Hope this has helped if not please feel free to PM me.

Shelley

• 3 weeks later...

I AM CURRENTLY STUDYING THE FOUNDATION DEGREE AND I HAVE BEEN TOLD ON MY COURSE THAT YOU WILL DEFINETLY NEED TO HAVE A QUALIFICATION OF THIS LEVEL BY 2010 AND THE EYPS AT A LATER DATE.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is currently doing the unit:'Personal and professional development: early years settings. As i have just started this course and i have to produce an appropraite professional development plan based on an appraisal that was carried out by my line manager. I was wondering if anyone has done it before and how they managed.

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to this forum... and I searching through for inspriation, because like you I'm currently doing the same unit. I'm not having much success at the moment though!!!!!

It's been interesting to read all the posts too, everyone seems helpful and friendly here.

xxx

Hello Looby Loo and welcome to the forum, :D don't hesitate to ask for any specific support for your degree as many members doing it are always happy to help.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)