Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Closure Due To Snow - Warning Parents!

If the weatherman is correct then we should be prepared for snow over the coming weeks and months. With this in mind, I find myself wanting to make it crystal clear to parents what will happen in the event of snow.

Does anybody have a template letter or policy that they give to parents.

Here's hoping!

I always include a line or two in my January newsletter...........I just explain that we will always try to remain open, but if we have to close I will ring all parents before 8:30am..........

That's OK for me as we are a very small pre-school......wouldn't be practical for a larger setting..........

Could you email, text........hmmm........

Waiting for the snow here in Kent today! :(xD:o

Edited by sunnyday

We only close if school closes. Last time it happened we closed thursday then openen Friday and told people that we would have children if a childcare problem. We had no children. My dilemma was do i charge for those days or reimburse parents. I ended up reimbursing for the one day that we were closed. I cannot afford this if it is going to be regular or for a long period.

what do you do?

Buttercup

We only close if school closes. Last time it happened we closed thursday then openen Friday and told people that we would have children if a childcare problem. We had no children. My dilemma was do i charge for those days or reimburse parents. I ended up reimbursing for the one day that we were closed. I cannot afford this if it is going to be regular or for a long period.

what do you do?

Buttercup

This is the wording we have used previously. We have placed this notice on the main doors when we have heard that there may be snow in the next few days, that way parents know the procedure before the event happens :o

In the event of snow (name of pre-school) will make every effort to remain open. If you are unsure whether we will be open or not, please feel free to telephone.

However, should we need to close due to heating problems parents will be notified at the earliest opportunity by telephone. Alternatively a notice will be placed on the door instructing parents when we intend to re-open.

If staffing levels dictate that we must restrict the amount of children on the premises, then those children who are 2 years old will be notified first and asked not to bring their child in. Refunds will be given to any child requested not to attend. Ratios state that we can have 1 adult to 8 children who are 3 yrs +, but only allow 1 adult to 4 children who are 2 yrs old.

For the safety of your child if he/she wears wellington boots, please ensure that he/she has another pair of dry shoes to wear inside. We have a wooden floor and a wet floor is a dangerous floor!

we are closed today as the school is closed. last time this happened (feburary) staff were still paid, we still claimed the EYFE but I refunded parents (by deducting fees off the next invoice) who were paying for the days we closed.

I agree Buttercup, it would be very difficult financially if this happened often!

When I had my preschool and had to close I would pay staff so couldn't really afford to repay parents, they were all happy with a voucher to attend an additional session in liue of the closed day. Possibly an option for settings who have the spaces for this and are worried about sustainability.

Peggy

We now build in 3 extra days into our term dates and warn parents that there will be 3 additional days of closure in due course over the year, with the aim that they will be used to cover emergency closure such as snow. If they have not been used after the spring term , then we just take them off the summer term dates (with as much notive given to parents as possible). This year we have used 1 day this term (due to overrunning building work), which leaves us 2 days for any snow closures.

We just have to hope that a total of 3 days will be sufficient, even in the worst of years. If not, we would refund parents, but like all settings, need to keep this to a minimum. Other settings I know now put a clause into their contracts saying that exceptional closure due to severe weather, heating failure etc will be chargeable. I am not happy to do this, so feel our 3 days in hand is a better option.

• 3 weeks later...
We now build in 3 extra days into our term dates and warn parents that there will be 3 additional days of closure in due course over the year, with the aim that they will be used to cover emergency closure such as snow. If they have not been used after the spring term , then we just take them off the summer term dates (with as much notive given to parents as possible). This year we have used 1 day this term (due to overrunning building work), which leaves us 2 days for any snow closures.

We just have to hope that a total of 3 days will be sufficient, even in the worst of years. If not, we would refund parents, but like all settings, need to keep this to a minimum. Other settings I know now put a clause into their contracts saying that exceptional closure due to severe weather, heating failure etc will be chargeable. I am not happy to do this, so feel our 3 days in hand is a better option.

Hi EYFS 1966,

can you tell explain in abit more deatail how you work this? we have haevy snow today and all th estaff managed to get in but, tomorrow i have a member of staff you travels quite a distance to work and i dont think she'll get in.. which means i couldnt operate legally, as the other 2 staff only one is qualified, the person who does the bills thinks its unfair, that if we close pay will be an issue and also refunding fees? she cant cover, the schools closed and her children would be at home..catch twenty two. we are a small playgroup with 20 children...

any ideas would be good

mel

Edited by mk5698