Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aid/health And Safety

jennyjenkinz

hello, i work in a nursery class attached to a primary school. recently our thermometer broke and due to the swine flu pandemic it has been impossible to replace the thermometer as they sell out so quickly! Today we had a child that seemed unwell-usually we would observe the child and take there temperature. As no thermometer was available we called the school to ask if we could borrow theirs. We were told that "We are not allowed to take temperatures any more"!!!? this advice was given from someone who has done first aid training. However our nursery assistant who is paediatric trained in first aid says this was not mentioned when she did her training 2 months ago. My feeling is quite strong that we SHOULD be able and allowed to take children's temperature, especially to monitor if children have temps and if they do, what the temp is and also possibly how quickly the temp is rising. I feel that not taklng tempertures could be dangerous as young children can easily have a high temp which quickly leads to seizures. What are your thoughts/knowledge on this? I will also contact the school nurse to clarify this matter.

In addition to this I wanted to ask if when you complete a head injury form that you give to parents/carer's do you keep a duplicate copy?

thanks in advance

Jenny

I was told on my first aid course not to rely on thermometers, but certainly wasn't told that we couldn't have them!!!! Rather, if child feels hot, then they are hot, but I do use the thermometer for those children at risk of febrile convulsions.

Don't know if this helps at all.

Just a thought, was it an old mercury based thermom, that they were talking about? I certainly wouldn't use one of those, but an ear thermometer (with disposable one use ends) or a forehead thermom are both safe and don't give rise to cross infection if properly used.

Hi Jenny

Just re did first aid last month and there was certainly no mention of not being allowed to take children's temperatures! On the contrary, fever in young children can rise alarmingly in a short time. We were recommended to use the forehead type thermometers, or the underarm ones. It was suggested as good practice to make a note of every child's 'normal' temperature so that you can quickly know when theirs becomes raised as some people naturally are warmer than others. A good bit of advice I think.

As regards head injury form we ask parents to sign the original and observe the child for 48 hours after the injury. We keep that signed original and give a copy to the parents.

HTH

Lesley :o

On our 1st Aid course it was not mentioned that we cant use thermometers, and Like Lesley above our instructor advised us to take the temp of every child when they are well so that we know when they are unwell (if that makes sense!!), we have actually found this to be quite useful!

With regard to a bumped head, we always ring the parents to advise them what has happened incase they want to take the child for a checkup, we of course get them to sign the accident form on which we also write that the parents were rung, what time and what they said and we give a parents a bumped head advice sheet, which is also annotated on the accident form!

On our 1st Aid course we were also told that accident/medcation forms etc are all legal documents and should be completed in black pen! We now only use black pens throughout the nursery!!

On our 1st Aid course it was not mentioned that we cant use thermometers, and Like Lesley above our instructor advised us to take the temp of every child when they are well so that we know when they are unwell (if that makes sense!!), we have actually found this to be quite useful!

With regard to a bumped head, we always ring the parents to advise them what has happened incase they want to take the child for a checkup, we of course get them to sign the accident form on which we also write that the parents were rung, what time and what they said and we give a parents a bumped head advice sheet, which is also annotated on the accident form!

On our 1st Aid course we were also told that accident/medcation forms etc are all legal documents and should be completed in black pen! We now only use black pens throughout the nursery!!

thank you for all the replies-you have confirmed what I thought! We used to use the forehead strip-depending on what we can get we will continue to use a forehead strip or an underarm one xxx

• 3 months later...

Interesting that people have been reommended the forehead ones as they only take the temperature of your skin!

I did First Aid in July, and I know the protocols were up for renewal, so things may have changed. My view is that I update every 3 years, and do what I was taught at my most recent course.

Pretty sure my training last year mentioned not to use thermometors too. If a childs unwell, we should be able to tell and not have to rely on a reading which might not be that accurate. Plus, if we are concerned enough to want to use a thermometor should we wait for it to say a certain degree before we act?

Pretty sure my training last year mentioned not to use thermometors too. If a childs unwell, we should be able to tell and not have to rely on a reading which might not be that accurate. Plus, if we are concerned enough to want to use a thermometor should we wait for it to say a certain degree before we act?

I understand that, but how you tell if a child has got worse?

Worse than what? They have a temperature and are unwell. You know your children, you know when they are hot from running or hot from leaning agaist the radiator or hot from being ill.

I'd take it as a whole, they are warm to the touch, they arent themselves, they are sitting rather than being active, they look different, flushed or pale and they tell you they feel poorly. YOunger ones might be teething but still need to be at home with calpol.

I've never owned a thermometer but I always knew when my children were ill, the same with the children in your care, you get to know them.

But if you feel a thermometer is the best way for you, unless you're catagorically told not to use one, I'd carry on, you have to feel comfortable with what you're doing too. Better to be safe than sorry, I just think our own judgement should be included to a greater degree than I've seen it on occassion.

we dont take temperatures either, a child is hot flushed and unwell home they go

we had to children some time a go who had febrile convulsion, neither had temperatures when they arrived and seemed fine, the temp hit in a flash, the ambulance did not ask what there temp was.

dont worry about being bossy just say it as it is :o

Edited by Suer

I do agree with Rea. I have four children (all grown up now) one grandchild and have worked in preschools for nearly 20 years and not once have I used a thermometer. I think the idea of taking and recording a childs 'well' temp unnecessary . if they're hot they're hot. If they are unwell and hot, then really does it matter what their temp records at, they're unwell. yes I know all about febrile convulsions but sometimes I think we have to be allowed to use common sense and as Rea says trust our own judgement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)