Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy Disposal

We are a sessional Pre-School set within school grounds, we a have a policy in place with regards the disposal of nappies. Basically wet nappies are disposed of by us, however soiled nappies are double bagged and the parents are asked to take them home and dispose of them. Up until now this has worked fine, parents are very understanding and there have been no issues. However we now seem to have a parent who has taken to throwing them out of her car outside the school gates!! We are 99% sure we know which parent it is, not the most approachable parent!! So other than putting a letter out to all parents, I am having to go out and collect them and take them home!!

Any suggestions would be welcome!!

Kris

It sounds like you could do with a friendly litter warden happening to wander past at the right moment!

The letter to all parents may embarrass her into stopping. You could include details of how much fees may have to increase to pay for clinical waste disposal.

Just another thought - could you hand keep one and hand it to her the next day saying "Oh, by the way. I think you dropped this on the way out yesterday" (in a very cheery helpful voice of course). I'm sure she wouldn't accept it back but it might make her think twice, especially if other parents are around at the time.

We are a sessional Pre-School set within school grounds, we a have a policy in place with regards the disposal of nappies. Basically wet nappies are disposed of by us, however soiled nappies are double bagged and the parents are asked to take them home and dispose of them. Up until now this has worked fine, parents are very understanding and there have been no issues. However we now seem to have a parent who has taken to throwing them out of her car outside the school gates!! We are 99% sure we know which parent it is, not the most approachable parent!! So other than putting a letter out to all parents, I am having to go out and collect them and take them home!!

Any suggestions would be welcome!!

Kris

In our area you are able to put one bin bag of nappies out for the normal weekly rubbish collection.

I'd be tempted to do the letter to all parents, mentioning that a report had been received that "someone" had been seen dropping the nappy bag from the car and that details of the car had been noted.

Hopefully this would shame her into taking them home and disposing of them properly in future!

Nona

If you put the child's initials on the bags and when you hand them out say 'We need to make sure we're giving the dirty nappy to the right parent, plus we've had a problem with someone throwing theirs outside the school gates and need to identify who is to let the Council know who is fly tipping', that might scare her.

If you know for definite who it is, I'd be inclined to charge her an amount you feel happy to accept in return for you disposing of it youselves (ie, someone takes it home and puts in their bin).

Or you could always make a policy that you're changing to washable nappies!

i was about to suggest write the name of the child on the nappy too

....and point out to all parents that there are hefty fines for fly tipping

if it then happened again Id hand the nappy back to the parent and I wouldnt be polite or sorry she would be told in no uncertain terms that its not acceptable behaviour

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)