Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Want To Pinch Myself!

september 2008 brought a little boy to me who has been anything but easy!! we have been through all behaviours from spitting, attempting to strangle, attacking any child within reach and the usual traits that come up often on this forum! well after trying what i thought was every sort of techinque and loads of advise from sencos to child phycologists (a friend of mine!) as well as tests being carried out from hearing to ADHD!!(arranged by mum after a year of encouragment from myself and the staff!) WE HAVE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!! he is an only child and adored by all the family, quite rightly so, but untill he came to us he hadn't had alot to do with other children and if he ever did anything wrong he was just removed from the situation (lots more to say but i'm sure you get the gist!!) well yesterday i did something i never do and some people may think i'm wrong but after trying the usual positive encouragment etc etc i used my BIG voice i said firmly and clearly, without being cross, that i'd had enough of his behaviour and i wasn't going to put up with it every day, i said he was such a lovely boy when he didn't hurt people or behave so badly and i wanted the lovely .......to start to come to pre school every day from now on. after i stopped i realised every child and adult in the room had gone silent! well with that he ate his lunch and had the most wonderful afternoon session ever, 2 children even played with him and the aggressive behaviour turned into a cuddle (never seen before ,shocked other child a bit!!!!), i thought it may have been a 1 off untill he came in today saying i'm going to be the ......... i was yesterday xD:( i can't believe it after all this time. i know it isn't just because i was so loud and more to do with lots of bounderies etc that have built up over the time but i'm actually looking forward to seeing him tomorrow and all staff are breathing a sigh of relief here's hoping it carries on!!!! my reason for posting this is to say to all of you out there that face a child every day who challenges every aspect of your abilities HANG IN THERE, ONE DAY IT WILL COME GOOD :(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :o :unsure:

Well done you...................................I think that sometimes, children actually need to know that we AREN'T going to put up with unpleasant behaviour anymore, especially when parents etc pussyfoot around them.They DO need boundaries and it sounds as if your little boy has realised he's found some.Hope it lasts.

Well done you...................................I think that sometimes, children actually need to know that we AREN'T going to put up with unpleasant behaviour anymore, especially when parents etc pussyfoot around them.They DO need boundaries and it sounds as if your little boy has realised he's found some.Hope it lasts.

What a wonderful feeling you must have. Well done. I think sometimes children need to know the absolute limit, I've sometimes raised my voice and explained its 'my mom voice'. :o

agree it gives me hope this story

but why is it I have loads of pateince for other peoples children but not my own???

and my 'mam voice' doesnt work at home!!

Congratulations ...... sometimes caring for children with challenging behaviour can seem like an uphill struggle, but when you get to the top of that hill and look back at how far both you and they have come, it makes it all so worth while. I speak from experience and still get a huge feeling of pride when a little lad I helped last year, before he moved up to reception, comes up and gives me a big hug when he sees me in the car park! :oxD

dottyp