Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whats In Your Sand This Week?

Metal stuff to find with magnets! This has been inspired by hide and seek interest of the kids and also being given a metal detector by our LEA.

Did you know ... that if you take a magnet to the beach, it will pick up the tiny magnetic particles that are present in all beach sand.

socks and silver spoons! children loved filling them up and handling them as they got heavier and longer- really good psrn activity in the end with a bit of lsl thrown in.

Wet sand with: Cups, saucers and jugs.

Playdough cutters.

'Landscape' ie plastic trees, fences etc and animals

Ice cube trays from IKEA

Plastic cars

Treasure and flags or flag making equipment (looly sticks, glue and pens)

Dry sand with: water wheels

fishing nets and numbers / letters / key words

We have had no sand, porriage oats instead. Lots of cooking equipment and porriage recipe cards, laminated and held together with a treasury tag. (Sparklebox). The children have loved 'reading' the cards and cooking for the schools teddy bears, (yes we have had bears visiting the sand pit and they are rather covered in porridge so I will have some washing to do but worth it).

Ps This is a reception class

We've put glitter in our sand this week !

The children have loved it, they have been using the sieves to try and get the glitter out.

We have had most of the things mentioned in this thread in the sand, but not tried socks before !

The children do like collecting the pine cones from outside and adding them to the sand.

Motherclangerx

no, our children particularly like transporting. so we had the sand and water tray outside and they were enjoying making 'mud' then washing the veg and moving it about in baskets.

they also enjoyed eating the carrots :-)

was real good fun.

Jeanine, that sounds fab!

I've done the harvesting and washing them but never though of making them dirty all over again. I must start a folder of really good ideas from this forum because I'm sure I forget loads of brilliant activities that I've seen on here!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)