Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tasered For A Tantrum!

Upsy Daisy

I shall be printing this out and pinning it up next to my son's fishtank as a reminder of what might happen if he doesn't clean it out more regularly.

This is one of those stories that you can't actually believe has happened - there are so many things to unpick here. Firstly, that a parent should feel so unable to deal with a seemingly everyday part of family life that she resorts to calling out the police. Secondly, that the policemen felt the need to intervene at all given that no crime had been committed. Thirdly, when the police turn up they are equipped with a taser - I know a tantrum can be pretty brutal, but in what universe is it acceptable to use a taser on an eight year old?

I can quite understand why the little girl lashed out at the policeman - she must have been completely bewildered and genuinely scared at what was going to happen next.

I hope that the family are being offered ongoing support, and that the policeman will receive some training in what an appropriate response might be in future.

Oh, and that maybe he should invest in a cricket box as part of his uniform! :o

Maz

Well it was America...

and reading the comments on the article are just as scary.. many say they agree with it !

I do wonder what preceded it - what caused such a tantrum in a 10 year old over having a shower...

and why would any parent call the police to deal with it? Unless that was the threat used if she didn't comply and they followed it through

Inge

Personally I think there is either more or less to this than is being reported. I tend not to pay much attention to the sensationalist side of the media as they have a way of whipping people up into a frenzy over nothing. :o

Personally I think there is either more or less to this than is being reported. I tend not to pay much attention to the sensationalist side of the media as they have a way of whipping people up into a frenzy over nothing. xD

And yet when you hear the recordings of people dialing the emergency services to bring them home from a drunken night out, something like this seems quite possible... :o

Maz

I was googling for something a couple of days ago when I came across a parent asking what was safe taser settings so she could use it to punish her 4, 7 & 10 year olds. Yes, it was America but more scarily people were answering, suggesting setting levels and not one seemed to think there was anything wrong with her doing this. I've had a quick search but I can't find it again to link.

Karrie

Well it was America...

and reading the comments on the article are just as scary.. many say they agree with it !

I do wonder what preceded it - what caused such a tantrum in a 10 year old over having a shower...

and why would any parent call the police to deal with it? Unless that was the threat used if she didn't comply and they followed it through

Inge

totally agree it's like one of those "only in america" stories you read in the paper

I also find myself asking lots of questions about why was a male police officer attending to a girl in the bathroom? where was a female officer at a time like this, did I miss something?

I can understand bath times can be a trying time in some house holds but why involve the police, surely it would of been better to shut the door and walk away until the child calmed down rather than add more fuel to the fire and bring in the police???

it's unbelievable the way some people try to parent their children