Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Handbook?

Hello everyone I have stolen many tips and tricks from this forum over the years and one of those things recently was the handbook that was posted - i kind of re-jigged it , personalised it and used it to show the committee as I would like to use it.

Well I have a committee member (whom incidentally is a random member of the village-not a parent) who is questioning everything I present, which is ok, I am all up for discussion and am happy to talk about stuff......but (for those with long memories my Adm-Manager situation has been sorted with my role now being defined as Nursery Manager and hers as Nursery Administrator)..........incidentally, and I am aware that this may sound a bit childish but this is the situation, the committee member I mention is bosom buddies with the Admin Manager and so I feel, may have taken the role of questioning everything I introduce. :o:(

So to get the crux of the matter the committee member feels there is no need to have a Handbook and has asked me to point out the Ofsted requirement......she feels I am muddling induction with training as there is information in the book about child development.

I can understand what she is saying and whether Ofsted require some sort of induction (of which there is nothing at the moment!) I felt a handbook combining the roles and responsibilities, a bit of child development knowledge and the run of the day at the setting is a good opportunity to disseminate knowledge?

My usual question ....am I bonkers? I answered her queries via email saying that I think as a manager it is something I would like to see given to the staff regardless of whether there is a requirement.....being good practice.

I think she thinks I do too much.....well I am notorious for my streams of paperwork...but that is how I work....I genuinely want to provide the best provision and think about, and put a lot of work into setting it up....why should she complain about that? Her tone in email communication and use of language - lots of !!!!!! and WE NEED TO DISCUSS!!!!! is confrontational......I have to meet with the committee next Wednesday and although I know why I do things - it is such a pain and wastE of energy to have to discuss EVERYTHING!!!! Also this committee member is very intelligent and I guess I am preparing as usual with appropriate ammunition to state my case....that is where you peeps come in!

yOUR THOUGHTS WOUDL BE APPRECIATED!! xD:(:( :wacko: xD

Edited by Guest

oh joy!!!

We use staff handbooks and find them a useful tool for referral. I'm sure there is a quote in the EYFS which would support staff and their working knowledge, staff and support etc.

Best of luck!!

could this be included in the section of eyfs which states that

all practitioners should have a clear understanding of their roles, (perhaps add a job description for each staff member if it is not included. )

and Induction should be provided for all new staff to help them understand the provision operates and their role within it.

It then says what should be in induction training..

P31 of eyfs framework.. ( my copy is 2008 May) under section of adults looking after children must have appropriate qualifications etc.

It is good practice , and you know this, my last Ofsted (which was a while ago) she asked me how I did the induction, what info I gave to staff, how to I ensure they are up to date in knowledge etc.. and the developing handbook we had was such a big part of this. She realised for us it was a work in progress as we had not had any staff changes for 6 years.. but was pleased to see we had thought of it if there were to be changes..

Inge

INge you are fantastic ...thank you....I have been working all day on stuff for work....unpaid of course.....sometimes I wonder how grateful the committee really are to question everything....thanks again... :oxD:(

We are currently being audited by LA as part of EYQISP and whilst this isn't an Ofsted requirement our rating is looking a lot healthier under Leadership and Management due to our employee handbook. Everything coming out of the audit and whatever follows from it is feeding into our SEF so supports our inspection in that way. My staff have all supported the introduction of the handbook too as they feel more able to explain their roles and as Ofsted inspectors often single out staff members to question about this (in my experience) I can only see that as useful too. If staff feel more confident about their roles the outcomes for the children will surely be better too.

Hi there,

Totally agree with holly. In my recent (2 weeks ago) 3 hour interview with Ofsted for suitable person status, a staff handbook was rated a good thing by my inspector. This was in addition to the induction forms and so on. After all, if you think about it new members of staff go through induction, but the handbook is there for regular reference as to how the place operates. So I would say go for it!

Lesley :o

Thank you I will let you know how it goes....I have had one before but it was pre EYFS....and I have started at a new setting so I better get reading those policies inside out!. :o

You could point out that settings which meet Ofted's requirements and do nothing more receive satisfactory gradings. Those who go the extra mile to ensure that the care and eduaction they offer are the best they can be, receive outstanding gradings. Which of these is the ambition of your committee?

I had been thinking that Upsydaisy as I said I need to look over the policys and it would seem the committee member in question has just changed some policies and to say they are basic is an understatment.....the behaviour management policy is about 30 lines in total :(:o

Obviously at this meeting I will probably say that I want to go the extra mile that is how it should be done and I can see a complete overhaul of the policies....(we are due Ofsted in May next year).

The other comment that the committee member mentioned today was that she was ok with my philospohy of the handbook but 'unsure of the legal pitfalls should things go awry' - I have alll this communication via email and today when I read that comment I said many swear words....it would seem she does want the bare minimum done to run the setting 'just in case' we get introuble...... :( :wacko: xD:(xD :rolleyes: ;)

I am going to be well prepared for this meeting..... :unsure:

Edited by Guest

I have had committee members who would have made similar comments, and to be fair to them they were worried about writing something in the handbook which they might be later told to be illegal. However if you were to use the PLA handbook for example as a basis for your setting's then they have taken all that worry out of it - not to mention having saved you a lot of typing. Similarly the policies would be comprehensive - my LA keep telling me ours are very good and some were going to be used as templates for LA training. All I did was used the PLA ones and then tweaked them for our setting and added things I picked up off here, so thanks everyone!

Thanks Holly - Maybe that would be a better solution to stop the concern about legalities.....although I find it difficult to think of the consequences or possible problems with setting out roles and responsibilities and stuff.....do I need to be a member of the PLA to access the induction booklet?

Anyone can purchase it from the PLA website and you get a downloadable version with the purchase. I think it was about £20 maybe slightly more, but if nothing else to save you typing everything it is worth it. Give me a shout if you struggle to find it and I'll look up the number for you.

• 3 months later...
Guest jenpercy

just wanted to chip in that having gone to Tribunal once and been threatened with it again, I have had the advice that job descriptions and staff handbooks need to be as comprehensive as possible, as staff can claim that they did not know that they had to do basic things if not written down for them.

Also OFSTED were very interested in my stff files and induction process