Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Video's And Photography At Nativity

dottyp

Could anyone please advise how they go about saying 'yes' or 'no' to parents/visitors recording or taking photographs

during their Nativity/Christmas Play. I have permission for photos to be taken during normal session time from

parents, but with the more recent press/media I am unsure of legal requirements/good practice. :o

dottyp

we always say it is not a problem but do not put on use for themselves and do not post on internet etc. the only people at the nativity are parents it is not open to general public.

it would be a real shame if our children did not have memories of their first nativity.

buttercup

I send out a reminder in letter form a week or so in advance too...... saying that we do permit photos etc but only for person use, not to be put on social networking site etc.

We ask if parents/carers have any concerns to see a member of staff BEFORE the show day.

Then on the day just a reminder about photo use.

xx

we did an additional permissions letter for the day, asking parent to confirm they were happy with other people photographing / videoing and reminding them they were for personal use only, not for sharing on internet.

Parents returned the signed slip before the day... never had a parent refuse..

Inge

I would not want to go down the route of saying no photos or video. It does seem sensible to ask parents not to put them on social networking sites.

I honestly don't think that the child abuse cases in the media should have any bearing on whether we let parents photograph children in a Nativity. They are completely different issues.

Would you be willing to ban all cameras if a parent did refuse Inge?

Our head always asks at the start of the performance if anyone has any objections.

The problem with this is that it takes a very strong person to stand up and say that they object - we used to always do this but now I do it in writing a few days before the performance so that parents can discuss their concerns with me privately.

Maz

I would not want to go down the route of saying no photos or video. It does seem sensible to ask parents not to put them on social networking sites.

I honestly don't think that the child abuse cases in the media should have any bearing on whether we let parents photograph children in a Nativity. They are completely different issues.

Would you be willing to ban all cameras if a parent did refuse Inge?

yes that was the deal... either all attending agreed or the only photos would be of individual children taken by us for parents. May have sounded harsh but with children from local refuge it was really important that some of them were not photographed ...

we never had any issues with it.parents understood..

.. it was the same if parents refused permission during the session.. and we did have some, we had to ensure the child was never in the pictures.. always checking as soon as they were taken and deleting need be.

Inge

• Like 1

This came up at a local school when an over zealous head teacher tried to stop the taking of photos under data protection rules but the Information Commissioners Office has provided guidance on this here http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/pre...t_christmas.pdf

I'd say it's good practice and curteous to ask in advice but there is no legal reason not to allow photos to be taken.

RR

Our local Safeguarding Children Board (Dudley) have recently updated their procedures and issued consent forms for photos, video and internet. The forms are available to download from their website, along with guidance sheets.(http://safeguardingchildren.dudley.gov.uk/information-for-professionals)

Perhaps they'll give you some ideas or your own SCB may have something similar?

Nona

when i used to work in a nursery we used to film the dress rehersal. We then found someone who would make copies for us for about £3 per disc. This method really worked for us because it solved the problem of parents all trying to get to the front and getting into each others way during the actual concert. We made sure that we had signed permission from all of the childrens parents saying that we could film the concert and then distribute them to the parents who wished to buy them. We did have an incident one year when we had around 50 copies made and then realised that one of the chldren had pulled his pants down and flashed a bit of his bottom and we really didn't know what to do, however after his mum saw the dvd she agreed that we could still distribute it, if anything it just made it funnier :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)