Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Play

I'm in Reception and planning our Christmas show with the rest of KS1, so I'm afraid I'm not really of any help with organising a pre-school nativity as I wouldn't know where to start.

Whatever you do I'm sure it'll be fantastic - at that age you can't go wrong! Have fun :o

If you want to do a "quick" traditional nativity, we used the Ladybird book, First Christmas as our base. We told the children the story using the book a couple of times and then asked would you like to be able to tell this story to the mummies and daddies. Now we don't assign roles until the day of the performance, but in the lead up to that day we practice it a number of times, and children decide what part they want to play, eventually this kind of evens out and we know who works best in which part, but it does allow the children to have a go at being shepherds or kings or innkeeper or whatever. We find they don't get confused by this way of working, although as I type this it does sound confusing!!!

Anyway, the first time we did the nativity the children dressed very simply - just from our usual box of role play clothes - using capes, etc. stuffed toys. We made halos from wired tinsel, I made cardboard masks for the donkey etc. you can expand how many shepherds and angels you have. We have someone playing the star who leads all the kings in at the very end, as soon as the children have played their part they all gather in the "stable" in tableu form.

Over the years we have added songs, extra costumes, scenery etc. but we still tell the story in the same way. Last year for the very first time we had problems and I think it was because we used too many costumes, the girls started saying they didn't want to be an angel in "that outfit" etc. and the performance was one of the type we would want to forget :oxD However, the parents enjoyed it and so did the children (in the end) So it was all worthwhile.

Oh Inge that did may me laugh. I think I went to one of those performances! One of the children was dressed as a yorkshire pudding - mummy had made his costume out of a duvet, you can imagine how hot the poor little chap got and went redder by the minute. I don't think the Christmas play will ever disappear it's really too much fun, even if the adults behind the scene become gibbering wrecks by the end of the season!

We did 'A Wriggly Nativity' last year.....

http://www.starshine.co.uk/index.php?conte...hop&prid=19

It was the best nativity I have ever done .... we just played the CD in the background during pre-school sessions and eventually added simple actions during singing time. I was determined that it would not take over everything and would not stress us all out!! It didn't!! Would thoroughly recommend.

Cath

The Nursery Rhyme Nativities: Three Easy-to-Perform Plays for Pre-school and Early Years Learning [illustrated] (Paperback)

is brilliant. The book is only £7.99 and all the songs are the tune to familiar nursery rhymes so are easy to learn. The pages are photocopiable and contain musicm useful if you have someone who wants to play an instruments.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...x_ya_oh_product

Thata lovely cd

We are in a pre-school and have got to say we tell the children about singing to Mummies etc, and allow them to choose our songs for the concert, i write a list then we practice during our allocated singing time so not too much disruption. We add in Christmas songs but also their favourites.

Parents love it even though us staff dread it. Its all goes ok, at the end of the day this type of activity is just for the adults like my staff some of the children look stage struck!! :( But hety we party afterwards when parents have left normally a bouncy castle and cake :oxD

Hi dnugent

A few years ago I was at a pre-school who did 'The Bossy King' for their Christmas Play.

The songs are great and lots of props made it an excellent alternative to the traditional Nativity.

www.outoftheark.co.uk

dottyp

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a couple of plays with Nursery classes in the past and these have usually have gone fine.I haven't managed to attach things before but will have a go now. If they are any help you are very welcome to use them. Have found 2 we have done a simple nativity and one based on twas the night before Christmas. Last one I did was based on the letters of the word Christmas

carol singers, holly, reindeer, icing, stockings, tinsel, Mary angel , stars - can't locate that at the moment but will add it if I find it.

Am now trying to put a five minute section together as all our plans have just had to change. Reception class now doing a 5 min slot at the beginning of the infant play based on getting ready for Christmas! Any ideas?!!!!

Julie

Nativity_Play.doc

Twas_the_Night_Before_Christmas_nursery_2005_play.doc

After a disastrous nativity a few years ago we decided to put on a concert instead. The children help choose the songs which lead up to the nativity where we have a little tableaux of Mary, Joseph and baby. The songs are from previous plays like the Sleepy Shepherd and Whoops-a-Daisy Angel. Children dress up as shepherds and reindeer with lots of angels and fairies. They seem to enjoy it and all too soon it's over till the next year........what a shame! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)