Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wellies

We have bought some all weather clothing for the children and have asked parents many times to bring in spare wellies. However, only a couple have so we have come to the conclusion that we need to provide them ourselves.

We've got some money thanks to a fab group of older lads doing a sponsored run for us and will use some of this to buy the wellies (rather than faffing about trying to beg and borrow). So before we go ahead I was just wondering what we would do about them staying 'fresh'.

If you provide wellies do you allocate them to a particular child or is it a free for all based on size? What do you do about avoiding the spread of any nasties? I'm thinking of those sprays they have in bowling alleys - is that what you'd use?

And most importantly has Mrs O commented - positive or negative?? I know it shouldn't be our priority but it's been nearly 3 years now since she last come knocking and we are waiting with baited breath :o

Thanks in advance for your advice.

RR

I suppose it depends on how long it is between uses. If two children would use them on the same day is that different from having an overnight period for nasties to die off?

What you need is a friendly microbiologist who can tell you how long things can live in wellies. If you start spraying stuff in them you could cause problems with allergies.

If it were my child I wouldn't be too worried as long as they had socks on but some parents could be quite uptight about their children sharing footwear.

In an ideal world they would have their own pair but children grow so can you have enough pairs to allow for that? You could wash them out with antibac between children quite easily with a day or so to dry in between.

If it were my child I wouldn't be too worried as long as they had socks on but some parents could be quite uptight about their children sharing footwear.

This is a bit of a 'hot topic' for me too! Those of mine who don't either bring wellies everyday or better still leave a pair with us - are wearing 'spares' - most of them from my house - my grandchildrens outgrown ones! :o

I am waiting for a parent to 'complain' - my reply will be "yes this is not ideal, but I have asked that all children have wellies everyday"! xD

We are the same as Sunnyday, A child will miss out on valuable learning if not appropriately dressed for the weather or activity and we believe that if we have spares they have opportunities!!!

We all know what some of the parents are like they either forget or don't read the newsletter :o

We do - supply your own (they will NOT be shared if left - unless you so it's ok)

If none supplied pot luck with the 'share bucket'

We are lucky and have a good lot of parents many have donated outgrown pairs.

We once had a child in tears - she wanted to wear a pair of our old ones rather than her very expensive and trendy designer pair........ we told mum and she was quite happy for her to wear manky old ones!!!

I am laughing out loud reading this post . Two weks ago in our Autumn newsletter I requested all the children to bring in a pair of wellies each , or , that was what I meant to say ! Spell checker does not recognise the word 'wellie ' and changes the first 'e' to an 'i' !!!! So I sent out asking for all my children to bring in a pair of willies each - much to the utter amusement of all the parents ! Mind you it did sort out those who read the newsletter and those who don't.

Seriously though to answer your question - we have spares for those not providing wellies and havent had any complaints . I wonder what that bowling shoe spray is though.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Good to hear that you have 'communal' wellies (or willies if you're Dizzy Lizzy :o)

Louby Loo I can just picture your share bucket - the kind of thing that kids love and some of our parents would be mortified by xD

Edited by Guest

>> Spell checker does not recognise the word 'wellie ' and changes the first 'e' to an 'i' !!!!

This is Outlook's auto-correct. It wouldn't be so bad if it asked you but it just does it. Happened to me and only by the grace of God did I spot the mistake before it went out to 100 parents!

We share a shared wellie box at my nursery..the children all wear socks and i think it a great exercise for promoting independence in the children...can you find a pair of wellies and which are the correct size? we can take political correctness and all that stuff too far! If parents complain about sharing them then point out they can provide their own!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)