Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water Play

Hi all,

I am really struggling to think of new ideas for our water tray, we have tried the usual bubbles, coloured water, guttering, floating and sinking we also have all the continuous provision. Has any one got any other ideas of other things that we can either do with the water or other things that we can do with it!

Knew this was the right place to ask this question!!!

Annalea

Our children washed up their cups and plates today - well I should say the boys did. One girl did venture in and joined them - they had a great time especially when the tea towels 'accidentally' fell into the water too!

Maz

I bought a set of plastic ducks and put numbers on the bottom of them, the children catch them with a small fishing net or colander depending what is to hand, they try to identify the number of the bottom. We sing 5 little ducks etc., the ducks are of varying sizes etc.

We put ice cubes by the bucket in there sometimes and tongs to pick them out.

we have a wide plastic tubing which the children use to syphon with, or put a funnel in the top and pour water down which then collects in a bowl on the floor - great one to clear up after!!! or blow down to make bubbles

we don't always use if for water, so we would make slime in it, or have other gungy stuff.

dolls clothes washing as well as the babies.

Well, we love it - the parents however, all to ugh! as soon as they see it. I would make it pink or just leave it white it would look more appealing!

We use soap flakes (not made now but used to be called Lux) you can buy soap flakes in Boots sometimes in supermarkets. You need a fair quantity so perhaps half a box or more and then fill up with hot water, give a good stir, get out any lumps, add colouring if you are using. Within a couple of hours the viscosity changes and it thickens up a treat, so perhaps make it before you leave your setting to use the next day.

I know quantity is a bit vague, but to be honest I have never really measured it out!

To dispose of - hmmmm down the outside drain, plenty of running water going in after it if you have a tap there, or put the plug in a kitchen sized sink pour in the slime and put in lots of water to disperse it, then pull out the plug and let the water run for a while after - the last thing you want to do is have it sludge up your pipework!

The other stuff you can buy, but I'm not a great lover of it is called Gellibaf, you can get if from Amazon, it comes in a couple of colours, now that has a sachet of stuff with it which you put in when you have finished with the sludgy slimy mixture which turns the sludge back to water for easy disposal

just a warning.. gellibaff becomes very slippery when dropped on the floor...

Inge

Thanks Inge. I'll remember that. I still love it though. It is an intense senory experience and the children really wallow in it. Well not literally of course although that apparently is the intention! Ugh :o

My favourites:

Jelly - get parents etc to donate their jelly that is out of date from the back of their store cupboards and makes a lovely smell

Cooked spaghetti mixed with washing up liquid - really gross but brilliant

Shaving foam

Dry rice

Flour and water gloop again made from out of date bags of flour - great to get children to see dry powder and see changes as you add liquid

Not my favourite but the children loved it........dry pasta shapes - and give the children metal measuring cups.......the headache started almost instantly!!!

Have fun and makes me miss my nursery days :o

Sue

If you live near the seaside seaweed is a good thing to add to your water tray children love the feel and gives lots of learning opportunities. Beware it does become very smelly. Fallen leaves the childen have collected are also good.

If you live near the seaside seaweed is a good thing to add to your water tray children love the feel and gives lots of learning opportunities. Beware it does become very smelly. Fallen leaves the childen have collected are also good.

Welcome to the forum eauk xD

I like the idea of seaweed.....not so sure about the smelly bit though :o The cooked pasta can get a bit smelly though after a while so be aware.

Sue

I put blue water in the tuff spot today (which was on a table), with 2 big bowls and some smaller pots. They had great fun for a short while (but it was impossible to keep the water IN the tuff spot despite the size of it!) However, it was more fun when they added their lego models to it apparently!

Noodles - both dry and when u add water always go down a treat.

we put soil into our water tray as our theme was mini beasts (with or without the water)

Porridge oats (our theme was Teddy Bears and our Big Book was Goldilocks and the 3 Bears) Both these were a big hit.

Hope they are a help :o

Have you tried using syringes (and I'm talking about the ones without the needles), one of our parents donated some as they work in a hospital, the children loved working out how to suck up the water and then spray it out again - better in the summer outside!!

Also ice cubes coloured and clear, good for floating and experiments with melting and colour changes and mixing.

Also good for measuring, we have a number of different shaped containers that all hold 1 litre but you wouldn't always think that.

Rachel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)