Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shape, Texture Colour

Hi all,

Just wondered, most of my children are familiar with the four basic 2d shapes, naming corners, straight and curved edges. Is it to soon in the year to move onto 3d shapes. My topic this half term is shape, texture and colour. So will obviously need to include shapes.

xxxx

Hi all,

Just wondered, most of my children are familiar with the four basic 2d shapes, naming corners, straight and curved edges. Is it to soon in the year to move onto 3d shapes. My topic this half term is shape, texture and colour. So will obviously need to include shapes.

xxxx

offer them the names and see what they 'run with'. Some may love the new names and others might not be interested. It's never to soon to learn lovely new words! I remember a 2 year old telling me a few years ago that she'd painted an ovoid!!

There is a school of thought that suggests 3D shapes are easier to learn because they are more tangible than 2D shapes. I have always used both and children love using those big names... I recall a child a few years ago who had speech difficulties really enjoying 'triangular prism'. Its very easy to talk about the properties of 3D shape and also to let them explore them.

Ovoid in its simplest terms just means egg shaped.