Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Light And Dark Role Play

Our next topic is 'light and dark/day and night' and I am trying to plan role play area- thought about having a 'dark den' but it's not really rol eplay- does this matter? The other idea I had was making it in to the bear's house in 'Can't you sleep little bear?/Time for bed little bear' stories- anyone done this topic and got good role play area ideas?

You could plan with the children and set up a woodland at night with appropriate animals, or have an 'underground' area made with tunnels, camouflage net, tables and fabrics, again put some animals in there and torches for the children to use.

I have the kit from the Three Bears, which has enabled me to build a big structure that I have covered with black out blind material, it is pitch black in there!!!! I have put twinkling lights in the ceiling and added glow in the dark numbers and letters (from TTS) which the children can shine their torches on. I also have lava lamps, and black bean bags for them to lay on to watch the lights, it's not so much of a roleplay area but an investigation area, I also have torches , and crocodile clips, bulbs and batteries in there. I am then going to to turn it into some sort of home for Owl Babies, then remove some of the material and add gold foil (again from TTS its 16 pound for 20 metres) to create a celebration zone for Diwlai and Hannakah, then Santa's workshop, then brown material for a barn, for the story of Christmas ( I have ordered the role play costumes from Step by Step - 12 costumes for £84). Thats the plan, it seems like a lot of changes but the structure is there, the resources are ordered and the teacher is enthusiastic!!!!!!!!! However I am aware its the start of half term and reality will kick in this time next week!!!!!! and who knows where the children will take me - it could end up as a bat cave!!!!!

I was in a £ shop the other day and they had a stack of 'black light bulbs' - am I right in thinking these are ultra violet lights - where everything white shows up really really white? If so that might be fun in a lamp in your black out den

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)