Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration

Does anyone have a system for self registration?

I know interactive whiteborads are really good but i dont have one!

Any ideas how i could set self registration up in my classroom?

What do you all do?

Each child finds their own written name on a piece of card. Next week our theme is bears so I have written each childs name on a bear and they will put their named bear to bed in the pre-made cardboard bed. They do this as they come in the door and take it off as they leave the premises.

Our children put their names in a tin each morning. They have to add them on to the end of a flash word sentence and read the whole lot first! We started with "I am", then changed it to "am I" so that we could see who really recognised the words :o Then we had "I look like" and now we've got "Look at me I am" :D We will keep changing the sentence all through the year, moving on to "my family name is" for their surnames.

As our nursery children come through the door at the beginning of nursery they find their name cards and badges, they put the names on a special wall using velcro. The children have a special picture that is on their name card , badge, busy books, half term books , home school link book and profile. As the children get older we make new cards without the pictures, and then at a later date add the sir name.

Hi

Our children select thier name as they walk in throgh the door and place it in their staff group on a large board. Each name card has a different picture on it and as they begin to recognise their without their picture then we remove the picture.

We change the way the name cards are attached every now and then ... velcro, magnetic strips, blue tac,

Carol

In our foundation unit the children have a peg with their name on it. When they come in they have a card on a piece of string on with their photo and name. When they have hung their coat up they put this card round their milk ready for snack.

My children have to find their laminated name card. They then put their name on the dinner plate if they are school dinners or in the lunch box if they are packed lunches. Saves having to do our dinner register every day.

In my reception class the children have to come in and sign their name on several pieces of A3 laminated paper using whiteboard pens. We begin with name cards to copy, then without name cards and now the children are starting to write their first name and surname on to the register. Its brillant to assess their name writing skills and very amusing when they go through stages of writing their names in various styles. For examples letters in the four corners, in a circle shape, triangle...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just adding a late note about self registration. I spent half a term dithering over making our self registration topic related. In the end I settled for laminating their names and leaving a message to place on the appropriate board children who are in/ out of school today. We then use this to count how many children are here, who' s not here. Also to check the written register is correct (is the number the same). Children who are late then move their name into the correct column or we remove the name of children who have to leave for any reason during the day. The lunch time supervisor also likes to see at a galnce who is away!!!

Lisa

At our school we have a big ocean display with different types of sea creatures. On the sides of that main display are the same creatures, one for each group (EY and Primary). The children go to their own sea creature, find their photo and then put it on their corresponding creature in the main display. That way we all know who is at school and who is not.

When we arrive to the classroom, the children bring their Homework Diaries and snacks/lunch inside and put them in their corresponding places. They jump the hopscotch and sit in the carpet.

We have an official register that has to be filled, so the Register Helper comes to the front and reads the names in it. Each child responds and I mark as present, later or absent. The children feel very proud to be able to read their classmate's names.

On the top of our calendar/weather display, I have a cloud for each child. There we have the name of each child plus the picture of the responsability s/he has that week (helpers). At the beginning of the year each name card has a picture with the same initial sound as the name of the child; later on it is a name card without the picture. If the child is absent, then the Register Helper puts the name of that child in the Season Tree. The other children know that the absent child's responsability needs to be covered up. They all want to help!

Finally, the Register Helper takes the register to the Register Box in the Copy Room, where all the other registers are put. This is done in case there is a fire at school. There is an administration person in charge of taking these so we can verify who was in school at the moment.

In our setting we have in the corner of the hall Jungle display, what both children and parents like. When children arrive in the morning they have to find their picture with name on it ( laminated ) and have to attach it to the board using different color pegs, depend in which group color they are. Later we going to remove pictures and encourage children to recognize and find their own name. Using pegs help children to develop fine motor skills, too. This system work very well for us. Later we do normal register in register book,and when we know final number of children present, we write it in the middle room on the laminated A4 sheet how many children is there and how many is absent. That way all staff know numbers. After day is finished we just wipe it of and is ready for tomorrow. Hope it will help.

Brankica

We do the same laminated name cards , pictures then not. The card is coloured red or yellow depending if in B2£ group (Yellow) or FSC group (Red). We have 3 columns " What time do you go home? a clock picture at the top of each column 11:45, 12:45 and 13:15, The children learn very quickly to 1st find their colour, then their picture, then their name. We put the full name, ( One child starting calling himself Ben Bee. (differentiated from Ben. A.) So we had to put "proper"surnames on the cards :D

Peggy

What a lot of learning from one simple act of registration :D

p.s. on our main register we write entry time and leaving time (a requirement from Ofsted- tick in and cross out not good enough)

• 3 weeks later...
:o Hi, in my setting we create individual name tags on the computer using the class lists before the children come in for their first day;during their first day we take their photos using a digital camera and print these off. Once this is done we glue the photos onto the tag and then laminate them.These are then hung(using string/ribbon etc) on the children's coat pegs at the end of the day,so that when they arrive the following morning they take them off and place them in `name pockets`which are hung up in an accessible place for the children . These `name pockets` are in fact strong plastic sheets along the idea of shoe holders onto which we attach sticky labels with the individual child's name on it.These pockets can also be somewhere the children can place their fruit and drink tokens to demonstrate that they have visited the snack area for their milk/water and piece of fruit,again at the end of the day the tokens are put back into the snack area ready for the next day and the name tags returned to each child's coat peg. Hope this is useful ........ Good Luck Mrs Pooler.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)