Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You All Get Fed Up With.......

the same old moans :o .......I have a meeting tomorrow and I know the topic of conversation with staff is 'the mess' arrrgggghhhh!

We are a mixed age setting (2-4) and most resources (since I changed the room around) are self accessible to the children....it is difficult to maintain/contain the areas of learning and yes, they do get a bit messy, but hey that is the nature of our job isn't it? To remind the children to clear away their mess, to support their path of interest......I think some of the staff I am working with are so used to the adult saying what comes out and when that they can't seem to relax with the upturned boxes of stuff.....there is major dispute about it the day I do not work...and tomorrow I know I am going to have to once again stand up for what I believe in.....it doesn't happen on the days I am working and I firmly believe it is because I, alongside a couple of other staff members are able to relax with the flow of play and work really hard to 'keep after' the children with regard to responsiblity and respect, tidying away, making room to play...(it still gets messy).....yes it is really hard work but it is what we do isn't it?

I get tired with saying the same things.....what some staff want is that on certain days when we have 6, 2-year olds and 11, 3-4 year olds is less stuff available to them.....restrict their choices...I find that unacceptable...am I bonkers? xD:(

You are not in the least bit 'bonkers' - hmm ...well unless we both are!

I second everything you say - and this is the way I work too.......and yes we are often 'in a mess' but we are embracing the EYFS!!!

Don't let the 'you know whats' grind you down!

No, you know that you are not bonkers!

Children need to have a free choice of resources in order to follow their schematic interests.

Mess is a by-product of the creative processes of playing and learning and, in itself, should not be a problem. Why don't you ask the staff to pinpoint the exact problem which the mess is causing to them?

If it is just that they don't like to see it or to have to tidy up then maybe they are in the wrong job?

Yes it is hard work reminding the children to tidy up but that is one of the skills we are being paid to teach them! Are the staff engaging in the activities with the children? If they are they should not really be seeing any mess - just lots of wonderful resources!

Stuck to your guns Shirel. You know you are right really.

"it doesn't happen on the days I am working and I firmly believe it is because I, alongside a couple of other staff members are able to relax with the flow of play and work really hard to 'keep after' the children with regard to responsiblity and respect, tidying away, making room to play...(it still gets messy).....yes it is really hard work but it is what we do isn't it?"

Agree with others, you have got this right and are NOT bonkers (on this issue anyway :o )

As it does work when you are there maybe it's time for some 'peer' observatons, how best to learn how to play, teach and positively manage children than from some specific observations of good practice, role modeling. xD

Another approach is that when this comes up at a meeting again, just say, ah yes, we've discussed this before, thanks for bringing it up again, now you've reminded me, I wanted to ask why some staff are finding it difficult to manage the childrens self selective play when on duty yet there isn't a problem when.......are on duty. What I would like to see those staff do to improve their practice is...............then I am sure this matter need never arise again. ( maybe not in that tone, but you get my drift- turn the problem around, away from the children being responsible and making clear the adults are responsible for not enabling the children to tidy etc, giving clear directives of what you expect the adults to do about it to rectify the situation)

Peggy

We have it aswell it gets so messy but its construtive mess if that makes sense, today had to show new parents around and they were looking around as if to say god what a mess, i end up having to explain why!!

You're not bonkers unless we all are sunnyday. I'm forever going into settings where the mantra is 'tidy up' or 'look at the mess'.

I have tried to tell people that mess doesnt exist, its just items in the wrong place, for now, but they dont believe me. Hope your meeting goes well. Do as Peggy suggested, turn it around.

Another approach is that when this comes up at a meeting again, just say, ah yes, we've discussed this before, thanks for bringing it up again, now you've reminded me, I wanted to ask why some staff are finding it difficult to manage the childrens self selective play when on duty yet there isn't a problem when.......are on duty. What I would like to see those staff do to improve their practice is...............then I am sure this matter need never arise again. ( maybe not in that tone, but you get my drift- turn the problem around, away from the children being responsible and making clear the adults are responsible for not enabling the children to tidy etc, giving clear directives of what you expect the adults to do about it to rectify the situation)

Peggy

Well done Peggy. That's what I wanted to say but couldn't work out how to do it!

Thank you all very much for your replies......I needed some support and as usual you have all come up trumps for me....all advice taken on board....bring on the meeting..(I have baked them cakes as well for the end of term! :oxD )

:(:(

You are not bonkers - I feel the same it seems that certain people want everything is neat tidy compartments - when we are working with children we need to focus on the process not the end product.

I do have that AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH moments and some days more than others

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)