Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting Points

Could anyone help? I have been told that Ofsted are now looking at settings and how they record the starting points for each child. Does anyone do this and how to do it? All the help needed

Thanks Gemma

Hi Gemma

Welcome to the forum

I was picked up on this at my last inspection. The inspector argued that as I did not record starting points how could I tell if children were making progress. I tried to convince her that I did not agree with a ticklist approach and that as I started my learning journeys for each child from day 1, that was their starting points - she didn't agree.

I've now made sure that my 'Unique Child' forms that I ask parents to complete before their children start are much more comprehensive and include more questions on what their child can do as well as what they are interested in.

After the settling in period I fill out a comprehensive form with a statement under each commitment of the EYFS and what the next steps might be. Under the areas of learning I make a statement as to whether I feel a child is working securely within an age range or beginning to work within an age range.

Although I have to be honest and say this is purely for Oftsed and and doesn't really make any difference to my knowledge of the children (I'm also a childminder and o nly had 2 new starters this year)

Hey,

I would love to see the forms you use for your on entry data! I am new to EYFS and need anything that will help me with my planning and assessment. If you get time, please could you upload a copy????

Thank you xx

I have a fantastic entry record - thanks to Cait!!! xD

I won't upload it as it's not my work - but I'm sure Cait will if you ask her nicely! :o :lol

Just popped back to say - Welcome to the forum! I will pm Cait for you!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Hey,

I would love to see the forms you use for your on entry data! I am new to EYFS and need anything that will help me with my planning and assessment. If you get time, please could you upload a copy????

Thank you xx

This is the form I give to parents when first registering

My_Unique_Child_Form.doc

I love this and find it gives me loads of information before children start

This is the form I fill in at the end of settling in - quite a lot of work but it shows how I'm fulfilling the commitments of the EYFS as well as assessing starting points with regards to the development matters age bands

starting_points_blank_proforma.doc

Hope they are of use

Parents complete a record before children start too, to give us some idea of where they 'see their child' and we use this to plan the first next steps.

We complete the part I posted above and file it with this as the first part of the learning story. I've put a silly picture in where our logo goes

blank_pt_1.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)