Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Barbie Style Dolls

Guest cheryl3

Guest cherylbetts

It's me again, just a quick question...

Does anyone use Barbie/Ken style dolls with clothes etc in their rescources/planning?

Cheryl x

Edited by cherylbetts

When we did our ECERS it was one of things that came up - that we only had 'baby' dolls. So I bought some soft bodied 'brat' type ones which are fairly popular, but the babies are still the favourite

I was a bit surprised to find them amongst our resources in my new setting. It is not something we had in my old setting. However, we do have older children in our setting before and after school who occasionally choose to play with them.

Perhaps they are a bit like guns in settings, they give practitioners the opportunity to challenge stereotypical behaviour, ie here's Car Mechanic Barbie.

We picked up a box of barbies and another of action man along with clothes and other accessories from a pre-school that was closing down.

We never had them in the setting before. The other day I sat with a little girl as she put action man clothes on barbie and vice versa. One or two of the boys have played with the action men but we are all surprised that they are not played with more often.

We do not plan for them in particular but they are always freely available.

One or two of the boys have played with the action men but we are all surprised that they are not played with more often.

We do not plan for them in particular but they are always freely available.

We are very much the same, - the children do not take much notice of them, in fact, they very rarely even bring them in from home, although the girls do talk about Barbie, and wear children's clothes with Barbie on them.

Our children far and away prefer the baby doll type dolls - the younger boys can be found putting the baby dolls to bed in the cot, or sitting feeding them and the girls prefer dressing them and pushing the buggies, loaded down with bags on the handles or "shopping" under the buggy (me thinks we are very stereotypical here!!)

Our manager found a job lot of Barbie types and Action Men recently - they went down a storm, with boys and girls playing with both equally. Unfortunately some of the 'business' bits on the Action men broke off very quickly (here I mean demon gauntlets and flick knife wrists, etc, in case any of you are entertaining other ideas....You Know Who You Are!!) but otherwise they have been a surprisingly successful addition resources in order to challenge stereotypes.

Sue

This made me howl Sue!! :oxD

We have male and female baby dolls with all the dangly bits intact.......however the action men are seriously lacking. One little boy asked me today where the action man's willy was........after I composed myself and stopped spluttering I asked him where he thought it was.....his reply "maybe it was cut off in a fight"!!

When this child went to play with something else I put the lid on the box and hid it away!! :(:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)