Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ict In Early Years

Darren

Hi All.

I am writing a 10,000 word dissertation on using computers/ict in early childhood and am finding it difficult to find anything academic for my literature review. I have trailed all through the sites i can think of and have looked through books but there does not seem to be anything current (e.g in the last 3-4 years) does anyone have any useful websites or names of books that would have anything linked to either the good and/or the bad sides to using computers at a young age.

Thanks

Darren :)

Hi Darren

Hasn't Tanya Byron just completed research on this very topic? Sorry don't know how or where she recorded her findings.....

Quick edit to say - just googled - it is called the Byron Review

Hope that helps

Yet another edit to say - Sue Palmer 'Toxic Childhood'

Edited by sunnyday

Hi

I have been researching this topic so I have ammo. for Ofstead against using computers as I don`t want one in my setting.

The book "failure to connect" how computers affect our children`s minds - and what we can do about them - by Jane M. Healy ISBN 978-0-684-85539-4 - is one I have found useful. In particular chapter 7 - Cybertots:Technology and the pre-school child.

Also if you look at the Open EYE website http://openeyecampaign.wordpress.com/ . Scroll down the front page and there is an article "the dangers of ICT in early years" with a weblink for more info.

Hope this helps.

Sally

Edited by Guest

Hi Darren,

I would suggest you look at "A Guide to Developing the ICT Curriculum for Early Childhood Education" Iram and John Siraj-Blatchford published by Trentham Books. This includes some results from major research projects and the references at the back will provide you with further reading.

Good luck

Thank You everyone. Some great places to start looking. I did think I was out of my depth with this topic but i had my VIVA on thursday and my interviewers thought this would be a really interesting topic to study so thatks again for your help. i'm so glad there is this forum for practitoners to share knowledge and experience.

x

Hi

I have been researching this topic so I have ammo. for Ofstead against using computers as I don`t want one in my setting.

Hi SallyQ- I have ICT objects, i.e. a camera, children's toy computers, buttons to press etc., microphones and tape recorders, but I'm with you, I don't wish to have a computer on site for the children to have free access to. I take the laptop in when needed but this is adult controlled, although I'm happy on a 1:1 basis to talk to the children about it and let them do the odd thing.

I feel we are struggling to get across so many concepts to young children that they don't need to have computers in their world the whole time, I have nothing against them using computers, indeed these days many have them at home, I just think for a few hours that they are with us they can experience life without them and find more basic things to do, which, frankly they struggle with and need to practice in.

The Reception classes they go into have a number of computers and often when the children have been on their orientation visits come back enthused that they can use the computers and I think good - that means you are looking forward to going to school and there is something waiting for you there which will provide initial excitement and interest.

Hi Panders

Nice to hear from someone else on the same wave lenghth. One of the things that has stuck with me most from my research was that young children need to have a firm grasp of reading and writing before they embark on regular computer use.

The more I research and observe with my pre-schoolers the more convinced I am that the building blocks for learing children need in the early years come from hands on play.

Sally

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)