Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Bought A New Iron Today....

I hate ironing so invested in a better one to make the job easier.

Before use the instructions say to wipe the ceramic soleplate with methylated spirit. Well as I don't have any I skipped that part. Started ironing a couple of tea towels to test it out and it doesn't glide well at all, despite what the description says. Would that be because I didn't wipe the soleplate with methylated spirit do you think?

ppp

I do that sort of thing all the time!

I suppose it's possible that there was some sort of protective covering on the soleplate which needed wiping off.

The thing is I wouldn't even know where to buy meths these days. It's not really the sort of thing we've all got in our kitchen cupboard is it?

Hi

is it a steam iron? and have you put water in it?

steam irons don't always glide well if they are not to temperature or have water in them.

I also had this problem once and there was a plastic guard over the soleplate!! :(:oxD

It is a steam iron and I have put water in it. Tried it with the steam function turned on and turned off. Don't think there is a plastic film on it...........

you may not find every pharmacy will have it though, i work in one and there are alot of common things (such as methylated spirit) you would assume could just buy over the counter but we do not now sell because they are abused by people who don't use things as innocently as others... however we often signpost people to camping shops/gardening shops etc as methylated spirit is often used for camping stoves etc...can't offer any actual advice relating to your iron though sorry, i hate it! tend to leave things to hang in bathroom whilst i'm showering in the hope that the steam will do its job enough!

Just found a Phillps in Argos - raving reviews so it's a contender. Foolishly I didn't read reviews for the one I bought today- lots of complaints about it sticking to clothes.

Me again, think I've found the one you mean Hali - lots of great reviews on Argos. Think I'll go with a Philips one!

Thanks for all your help.

Creased uniform tomorrow- but the kids won't mind!

ppp