Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help?

I have been up since 4.30 am! Worrying basically....after a meeting last week staff and myself and the children decided we would try altering the layout a little to make resources more available for self-chosen activities.....Friday me and the children changed a little bit of this and that and yesterday I moved the tables slightly....it is not dramatic and we are reviewing it with the children throughout the week to try to include them and do this gradually.....well I am now dreading going in to work as I feel the wrath of the Admin Manager.......I know she has said that she now understands her role albeit begrudgingly...but even Friday after this was said she came in and commented about how she had tried that before and 'it doesn't work.'

Part of me is thinking I should wait for her to settle more.....part of me is thinking I have been given a job to do and want to get on with it and part of me thinks she has been so unkind that I should be confident and carry on what I am doing. I am not trying to antaganise her - the layout thing is a staff initiated change.....they want to change quite a lot and have some fabulous ideas....wish me luck today.....

p.s. I have lost half a stone since getting this job! (that's a positive!) :o

Good luck for today.

Just try and remain upbeat and calm, though I appreciate its easier said than done at times.

You say the changes are staff initiated so everyone has agreed them, and the children are happy to try...... GO FOR IT!

You do have a job to do and you don't want to be worrying about not doing a good job because someone is blocking your moves!!

Oh Shirel. Good luck for today.

These changes, as you say, will be reviewed during the week. Nothing is written in stone that cannot be changed yet again if it doesn't work. So this Admin person should be happy with this after all other staff are happy for the change.

Don't let her grind you down. Imagine that weight you have lost returning as a layer of thick skin to envelope and protect you from the drivel she spouts. Smile sweetly and do exactly what you had planned.

Gosh she does annoy me........and I don't even know her!! xD

Have a fantastic day! :o

I agree........................it's been agreed by everyone else. so go for it.If she says 'it doesn't work this way'...........then I'd jsut say that she might be right, but you've not tried it before, so you'd like to see how it goes? Good luck and please don't fret........she must eventually see that you're all there to do your best for the children, so sometimes, things simply need to change to go with what they want and need?

Hi,

Just wanted to add that if the other staff are behind you with these changes then you should all give it a go, but remember that it can take time for new layouts, routines etc to become embedded so don't give up after the first couple of days.

Will be thinking of you

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Having someone chip away each day can erode your confidence can't it. xD You are a wonderful practitioner though so please don't let her get to you. The comments she makes are borne out of her own insecurities and issues. Just feel pity for her as she obviously needs to try to undermine you to bolster her own self esteem - it can't be a happy place to be.

Before you go to bed tonight try to think at least 5 positive comments made to you by members of staff, children or parents. Focus on these when you go to sleep at night and rest assured that what you are doing is welcome and exciting for the majority at the setting. :o

Before you go to bed tonight try to think at least 5 positive comments made to you by members of staff, children or parents.

Better still, carry a little notebook in your pocket, and write them down! It can be Shirel's observation file! Then, when she moans about something, you can whip out your book and quote something positive that someone has said about the changes you've made. :o

Understanding how she's feeling might make you a bit more sympathetic to her point of view but really, you've been given a job to do and ultimately you will be judged on whether you've done it by the end of your probation period. Go for it and be confident - it might not always work but your instincts are sound and you know what you're talking about.

Maz

What a brilliant idea! :o

How did it go today shirel?

I thought of you this morning while I was at work - as I said before I really think you should send her to me - she would soon know where she was well off!!!

Bet she wouldn't have approved of my water tray full of cooked pasta and the room becoming increasingly covered in compost as the children planted their bulbs........and all of this on top of all of our continuous provision which absolutely no way gets 'tidied' until 'tidy-up time'!!!