Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys -how Much Time ?

fimbo

Wow..you are lucky. We get to do all our keychildrens folders ( all 16 of them in my case) in our own time!!

No time is allocated for the completion of these...but thanks, I like the idea of asking the children concerned to help stick the photos etc. We do get 'observation/non-contact time' once a week in session time so I will definately use some of this time to do it.

Regards.

we would like to do some of it in the session with the children -but at the moment we dont have enough staff to enable us to do this, we have asked the staff to do these files which is alot more paperwork than they did previously - but feel that asking them to do it in their own time is a bit much.

we also think that a fixed amount of time would be good so that some staff dont claim more hours than others (dont ask :o !!)

does 30 mins per key child per week seem fair ?

many thanks !

We can't really managed to do them as my NNEB's only have an hour and a half off timetable in their week and in that time they need to plan for their grouptimes. As we all have 26 key children each allocating 30 mins per child would mean there was no one to work with the children!

does 30 mins per key child per week seem fair ?

Well why not try it and see how it goes? We're a small group and each key person only has a few children in their group - but even so this would add up to an extra session per week. Will you ask them to come into the setting to do them, or do them at home?

Maz

I am encouraging mine to do them in the setting and have just got a rail (a very simple dressing up trolley) with plastic bags (the kind you use for big books) All the children's portfolios are in these folders and this is placed by the entrance so parents can access them any time. This hopefully will mean we keep on top of them and don't leave everything to last minute and maybe just maybe parents will start contributing to them!?!?!?!?

Ooh I like the idea of the hanging rail denisse - would keep them nice and clean too (ours are in children's trays and guess where most spillages occur?!).

Will have to look at this idea!

Maz

I am encouraging mine to do them in the setting and have just got a rail (a very simple dressing up trolley) with plastic bags (the kind you use for big books) All the children's portfolios are in these folders and this is placed by the entrance so parents can access them any time. This hopefully will mean we keep on top of them and don't leave everything to last minute and maybe just maybe parents will start contributing to them!?!?!?!?

Oh I like this idea!

We get the plastic folders (they come with a hook to hang them) from county supplies £8.99 for 10 and the storage trolley is about £95 (holds 70 wallets). In the other setting we are using a shower rail in an alcove to store them as we don't have to put away every day there.

I wouldn't assign too much time to them personally, because it just means that you create more and more work for yourself and the other key workers. With limited time they might limit themselves to putting in only the most 'important' things in there. Nice as learning journey diaries are the last setting I was in didn't do them at all since they aren't statutory. What I'm trying to say is if you find they're taking a long time each week then it's probably time to step back and try to cut down the work load if possible rather than assign a lot of extra time.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)