Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

On Site Preschool Inspections Reflecting On Schools

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

I had a conversation with a colleague in a school last week - she said they were concerned that they have a preschool on their site which isn't doing very well (lots of staff changes and issues).

The school's head teacher is concerned that there is a new Ofsted guide which does state that if a setting on thier site is inspected and it is deemed as satisfactory or even unsatisfactory, the school can be held responsible somehow?

I can't remember what the document was called - something like 'Inspecting the EYFS'.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this is called/what the implications are? Do we need to consider writing disclaimers etc??

Help!

Spiral

We are a pre-school renting a room from the primary school. We were inspected independently from the school early last year, the inspector didn't look at the school at all and didn't speak to any of the staff. The when the school got notice of their inspection last September, we were told we would be inspected again (twice in 6 months - NOT FAIR!) just to keep the two sites on the same cycle.

advantage was - we got notice of their visit!

However, school had two inspectors for 3 days (I think) and we had our own Early Years inspector for a day and a half. They did speak but neither our report nor the schools mentioned the progress of the other beyond the benefit of free flow and mixing.

This was under EYFS too so I would say NO the Pre-school success/ failures would not be reflected in the School report and vice versa.

Hope this helps!

Good luck :o

Hi there,

been trying to research this further and apparently yes, the school can be held responsible if the early years provider presents an unsatisfactory inspection unless an agreement is signed by both parties to accept that they are seen as independent. There is an inspection guidance document out (for Ofsted officers to follow), which stipulates this, however, I haven't been able to find the right bit (maybe I'mm looking at the wrong doc).

This is scary stuff for those of you who may be on a school site. I can see their point in a loose ended way though - after all, what kind of school would tolerate bad practice on their site? However, I think we all know that some of the issues which can bring down your grade could be easily misjudged.

Anyone know what this document is as I'd really like to read it?

Thankyou,

Spiral

Hi Spiral - is it the one I uploaded a couple of days ago?

Thread title Ofsted Inspections - check it out!

Just had another look and I think it might be - just keep getting lost when searching through it - either that or I may just be nodding off zzzzzzzz. It's that envigorating night time reading thing, I'll keep on striving though xD:(:o

• 3 weeks later...
Just had another look and I think it might be - just keep getting lost when searching through it - either that or I may just be nodding off zzzzzzzz. It's that envigorating night time reading thing, I'll keep on striving though xD:(:o

hi yes i have just put a new post on this, we have just experienced this its a fase no help to us, they came in looked around asked a few questions not much else, if our nursery was better than reception htis doesnt mater or vice versa, as theter inspected as one, the report will be together, and yes the school wud take any flak,

sarah