Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Smoking Policy

Hello all,

There is a staff who is particularly good, but takes advantage when manager is not around, drinks tea in rooms, sometimes leaves staff out of ratio, to pop out to smoke, because of that morning breaks was stopped. How can you approah staff to get them to stop without exposing the staff who gave you this information, we always address this issue at meetings, but it still does not work.

I have heard of a nursery who made staff sign a document stating that they would not smoke in their uniform, or during their breaks not sure how that works.

Parents also complaints about staff smoking, they see them as role models for their children and do not what them(children) exposed to smoking at such an early age. l would appreciate a sample policy on smoking please :o

Thanks

My gut feeling would be that there is absolutely no smoking anywhere on the premises, indoors or out, ever and that staff should never be seen in public smoking while wearing their uniform.

Parents are quite right to expect staff to be a role model to their children when in uniform. I suppose that if they are out of uniform and off the premises during a break it is their own business but you could suggest that for the sake of the business they still stay out of sight of children.

When a member of staff is included in ratios I would never tolerate them leaving the premises to smoke or for any other reason.

Does that sound very harsh?

My gut feeling would be that there is absolutely no smoking anywhere on the premises, indoors or out, ever and that staff should never be seen in public smoking while wearing their uniform.

Does that sound very harsh?

I don't think so and I smoke!!! I dont even like my son seeing me smoke, never mind the children that I care for!

Waiting for the backlash now regarding my anti-social behaviour!! :oxD

I'm sure there is something written down about no smoking in the EYFS, however, even so I do think your staff member sounds like she is flaunting the rules - the fact that your staff came to you about it shows that they'd like something done . . could you state that someone (not mentioning whether staff or parent) has said something when they were passing by and they don't want to make an official complaint, but...

Just a thought - it's hard to please the staff yet not make them feel that they are 'dobbing' in a colleague.

Best of luck,

Spiral

Hear! Hear!

If you are on school premises perhaps you could make a policy outlawing smoking on the entire site, even outside. It's not good for staff to flaunt ratios so they can have a fag and as a parent I wouldn't like to see a member of staff around the corner having a quick smoke.

Nothing against smokers I have to say.......was one for many years and managed to give up sometime ago. But smoking and children do not mix!!!

I think the smoking law wording says no smoking is allowed on the premises, so it depends where the staff smoke, the outdoor area would be 'on' the premises. If that member of staff is working then she shouldn't be off the premises, so shouldn't be smoking. :o If they are off the premises that would be a different matter. It is hard isn't it if someone really feels they need a cigarette! Hospitals have designated areas outside but that isn't really appropriate for a nursery!

I don't know if this might help?

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/files/ev..._new_sf_law.pdf

There are other issues, too, around how long the smell of tobacco remains on clothing. It can seriously affect soem individuals. I can't remember where I found it but there was a suggestion that staff should not come back into contact with children for a certain period of time after smoking - between 15 and 30 minutes I seem to recall but not sure.

I believe it's now illegal to smoke on the premises and that might include outdoor play areas - it's the 'outdoor classroom', after all?!

we have one person who goes off the school premises at lunch time for a few minutes. she would be grouchy all afternoon if she was not allowed out. we are fortunate we are only open 8.30-3.30 i dont smoke but it would probable be difficult for someone to go 8-6 with a cigarette. all we can do is encourage them to give up.

this is our policy

1.16 No-Smoking

We comply with health and safety regulations and the welfare requirements of the EYFS in making our setting a no-smoking environment – both indoor and outdoor.

• All staff, parents and volunteers are made aware of our no-smoking policy

• We display no-smoking signs.

• We actively encourage no-smoking by having information for parents and staff about where to get help to stop smoking if they are seeking this information.

• Staff who smoke do not do so during working hours, unless on a break and will do so off the premises.

• Staff who smoke during their break make every effort to reduce the effect of the odour and lingering effects of passive smoking for children and colleagues.

Wasn't there something on the news a few months ago about chemicals from cigarettes impregnating clothing/furniture/soft furnishings etc and being harmful to small children even if someone wasn't actively smoking near them? I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I wouldn't want any child of mine being picked up or cuddled on a regular basis by someone who had been smoking in the same clothes earlier or had had them drying in a house where they had been smoking! Yuk!!

Guest MaryEMac

We are on a school site and the whole area is a no smoking site.

Thinking about what Pollyputthekettleon said about the staff clothes smelling of smoke, what about those children whose parents smoke and their clothes reek of smoke. I don't particularly want to cuddle a child who smells of smoke. Sometimes children borrow our clothes when they have had an accident and many times when they are returned, they have to be rewashed because they absolutely reek.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

There is a staff who is particularly good, but takes advantage when manager is not around, drinks tea in rooms, sometimes leaves staff out of ratio, to pop out to smoke, because of that morning breaks was stopped. How can you approah staff to get them to stop without exposing the staff who gave you this information, we always address this issue at meetings, but it still does not work.

I have heard of a nursery who made staff sign a document stating that they would not smoke in their uniform, or during their breaks not sure how that works.

Parents also complaints about staff smoking, they see them as role models for their children and do not what them(children) exposed to smoking at such an early age. l would appreciate a sample policy on smoking please :o

Thanks

I work in an LA centre who have a no smoking in or near the building policy. Our staff do not have breaks because of ratios . also consider the fact that staff are working very closely with children especially babies and transmit the smell and who knows what else!!!

[OFSTED pulled me up for having a can of coke at lunchtime! It is not seen as portraying a healthy example to the children. (and it was Diet!)]

What!?!?!?!?! Sod healthy - no doubt you enjoyed it and it was soicially and emotionally stimulating for you!!! Obviously I would NOT advocate a staff member having a fag at work. But, in their lunch hour if they want to, who is to stop them and why should we. Assuming they leave the site and all that! And to be honest how would you know. I am an ex smoker who has in her time a lot of excuses about where I am going and most of them have been for a fag (with a mint)!!!! As for having a coke - I dont know what to say. My staff were questioned about having chocolate bars in their lunches by an LA inspector - I jumped at it, and she backed down quite quickly, Firstly, not her business, secondly food is about more than nutrition - its about the scoial and the enjoyment too ~(and I love cholcolate) My own children always have a 'treat' in their lunch boxes - if staff only ate grapes there would be anorexia comments no doubt.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)