Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Country Dancing

We have been thinking about introducing country dancing for a while :D

The only experience the staff and i have of this is when we did it at school some 20 years ago :o

All we can remember is do - si - do, promenade and heel toe.

Just wondered if anyone still does it, how to do it, any videos available etc.

Also i would love to get hold of the music that was used then but i remember it being a crackly record!

You and they will have great fun but dont be surprised if its a bit chaotic! but I acn see no reason why you shouldnt be able to do something really simple-skipping round in a circle with a partner perhaps and with the inner and outer circles going in different directions? Perhpas stopping with the original partner and with a different one etc.

Not sure about music though.

Have fun! :D

You can buy country dancing CDs I use them for dancing and movement . I also remember country dancing from years ago - we make up movements and dances to fit the music it seems to work OK. Use Google for the correct names for the movements.

We use a tape and book called rig-a jig jig at preschool and there are some simple dances in it. The first part of each dance is taught through instructions before you do the whole dance. I can't remember the name of the publisher but I'll try to find out on Monday.

Anita

• 1 year later...

I know its bizarre adding to a post that is well over a year old, but bear with me!!

I've been looking through the forum for space ideas when I came across this and had to share our experiences of country dancing with nursery.

ITS FANTASTIC!! Everyone should give it a go. Its the most chaotic half hour and I dread it every time, but the children simply love it. We have a tape (copied and ancient I'm afraid so I've not a clue what its called) which tells you what to do. There are songs like 'Oh Belinda' and 'Old Dan Tucker'.

Give it a go and have a hoot!

Fluff x

Country dancing is still very much alive although more often called folk dance. Here in Bristol there is an annual Children's Day of Dance which primary schools and Brownie Packs take part in. There is a teachers workshop in the Autumn term. On the day there is a live band and the dances are called. See http://www.folkaroundbristol.co.uk/main.htm under Hobby Horse Club

For a wider view see http://www.efdss.org/

Al

We also have a huge country dancing festival in Somerset, 73 schools took part this year, the whole day is really chaotic for parents but the children love it, it's one of those days that you really enjoy in hindsight, once your back home with a glass of wine and the children are all accounted for and home safe and it has been a success,

I have learnt a few dances from my daughters and intend to use them at preschool next year, I have no doubt it will be hysterical,

yesterday we had a CD brought in by a child leaving called 'the old camp fire' we all danced for a good 20 minutes, staff finding it hard to dance for laughing, when I think back to it today, the children were watching us enjoy ourselves and laugh with them it was great - what it's all about. :D

Edited by Guest

I was bought up with 'Folk Dancing' My parents were wardens at the Youth Hostel i lived in. I have fantastic memories of my childhood, when hostellers used to roll back the carpet in the 'common room', to reveal red tiled floor. We all got in a circle and danced the night away. My mum and dad played the accordian.

My mum( 75yrs) comes into preschool occasionally to play to the children, we learnt a dance a few years ago for the Queens Jubilee, children and parents loved it.

So, I would suggest find out where your local Folk Dance group meet, have a word and see if someone would like to come in with their accordian. :D

We have visitors to preschool bringing in other cultural music, this post has been a just reminder for me to look back and remember and enjoy our own cultural music heritage.

A folk dance revival for tinies, not a bad idea at all :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)