Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Have A Dilemma

Earlier this year I dismissed a member of staff for gross misconduct because she turned out to be untrustworthy (menatlly ill I think and in need of help). I have found out that she is now working at the pirmary school as a TA and two people hwo were involved with her dismissal (a committee member and a member of staff) have voiced concerns as she is working in the class in reception where their children attend. Now, morally should I go to the head teacher and 'off the record' ask why he didn't ask for a reference, or am I allowed to do this officially, with confidentiality. She never harmed a child, so I don't think she would ever do anything physically to the child, my concern is that she is able to tell really blatant lies over a long time and be very convincing, which can have obvious consequences. What would you do - keep quiet or go see the head teacher?

Thank you ....!

PS I know in a reference I couldn't say anything anyway, but I worry that they didn't even bother to ask for one - and her mum works in the school and I wonder what they've been told about me and pre-school! (that we sack people willy-nilly?!!).

Edited by Guest

That is a hard one Chicken Licken.

I can see exactly why you feel concerned about this but if you don't feel that she will cause any harm to the children I'm not sure it's your place to intervene.

If she has these problems and they have not been addressed then they will come to light in school soon enough. If they have been addressed and she is being treated she may be perfectly able to do a good job now.

I know it is not nice wondering what is being said about you but I'm sure you have a good reputation and I doubt if it could be damaged that easily.

If there are two parents who feel concerned about her caring for their children then perhaps they should approach the head themselves. You can always say you are willing to speak to him confidentially if he contacts you. I can understand why they may not want to do this but it might put their minds at rest.

Gosh a bit of a tricky one!

If it were me I would not go and see the head teacher. I think if it needs to be brought to his attention then the committee member and the member of staff who have children in the class are perhaps better placed to express concern.

However, having said that I wonder what the basis of their concern is? Is it just that they 'know what she was like when working for you and why she was dismissed' and are therefore perhaps making assumptions that nothing has changed or are there concerns based on what is happening in the school class now?

Maybe the person did need medical help whether it was for mental illness or something else - who knows whether she may have sought help and actually be 'better'

So many unanswered questions and you clearly don't think children are at risk so certainly for now I would keep quiet :o

Thanks for your replies. It is my gut instinct to keep quiet, as you say, she may well have had treatment and be fine now, it's none of my business really! I wanted to ask the question anyway because I have told both parents taht it isn't my place to say anything and if they have concerns they shoudl approach the head teacher themselves.

I agree with what everyone else has said and understand your concerns. If she had been a danger to children or something else that would have called for a police investigation, then this would have shown up on her enhanced disclosure on her CRB. As this is obviously not the case, it would not be advisable for you to intervene by making any kind of allegations against her, as that could backfire on you. She may well have moved on, be well now, or learnt lessons from the past. The school is now responsible for her and, as you say, if the parents have specific concerns about her present behaviour then they should approach the school themselves. I would leave it up to them.