Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Disposable Gloves

Does anybody know if there are such things as disposable gloves for children and if so where I can buy them from? We have a little boy in pre-school who has very bad eczema, especially on his hands, and we need to keep them covered when he is painting and playing in the sand etc. We have cotton gloves for him but they have to be washed and we thought that disposable ones would be ideal. His mum would like them too.

Linda

We had this problem with a little girl in our nursery and I searched without success for children's disposable gloves. She too, used cotton ones but they were no good for hand/finger painting as the paint soaked through. We once used an adult disposable pair which she thought was hilarious but they acutally aggravated the eczema :o even though they were on for a short time.

I have wandered round the net looking at glove and eczema sites and all I can find is cotton ones - all the eczema sites seem to recommend cotton or cotton lined and preferably seam free.

I did think about trying to make some out of J cloth type material, just draw round her hand, cut out and whizz on the machine but again they wouldnt be water/paint proof and I never got round to it!!

Hope someone may be able to help and would be interested to hear of any suppliers.

We use latex and powder free adult ones with a scrunchy round their wrist to keep it on. I'll ask one of our parents, she's a paramedic and may know of child sized ones. :D

Thanks for that Rea. It would be great if we could find some for him so that we could be confident that the paint wouldn't leak through.

Linda

What about putting a small sandwich bag over the cotton glove and secure with a soft elasticated hair band. They can still hold a brush.

As a long term eczema sufferer I can sympathise with you little boy Linda.

Cotton is by far the best material to wear, I cannot wear latex so you should check with the parents before usng latex gloves, although you can buy cotton lined ones if the latex isnt a problem.

You can check with the parenst also if the use of a barrier cream which Im sure he will have already will enable him to do handpainting for example. It is very rare for eczema to affcet the palms of the hands or the fingertips, so it may be possible witha great deal of care do do those activities making sure mum has supplied prescreption washing cream and not soap for afterwards. Cotton gloves with the finger tips cut out is another way for him to get those tactile experiences. Cotton gloves can be bought in child sizes in bulk, but Im sure they can also be got on prescription, they certainly were when I was a child!

Hope that helps, Linda.

Thanks for all that advice Mundia. He has two types of cream, one that we use for washing his hands, It is a very greasy substance and is used as a soap replacement as well as a barrier cream. His hands are the worst affected part of his body, they are really bad. So we are concerned that we do all we can to ensure we don't make them any worse. I feel so sorry for him.

Linda

we had a child with severe eczema which affected her whole body, some days she could not walk and her hands including finger tips and palms were affected, she occasionally could not bend her fingers and refused to move her hands at all. we used the barrier cream and soap replacement and surprisingly found the only thing that really aggravated it was the playdough- the salt in it irritated her skin, so we used clay more often than before.

we put oats in the sand tray to allow her to use this and mum supplied an emolient to put in the water so she could use this too, not daily but she was able to use it occasionally without gloves.

we put small ones over cotton ones or used plastic bags as we do for children in plaster casts (we have had an adventurous bunch in the past) This worked but she really did not like it as it singled her out from the other children and while they just accepted it she did not.

As a matter of interest - mum gave her soya milk as advised - usual suggestion that it was a cows milk allergy -eventually she had the allergy testing and it turned out that it was the soya which was aggravating it!! (This is not the first time i have come accross this - happened several times while I was nursing children) Put her on goats milk and it improved very quickly - she is 6 now and it has almost all cleared.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)