Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dressing Up For The Eyps

Hi!

My EYPS course is starting next week (woo hoo!), and I haven't been to Uni in ages.

Just thought I'd ask all you experienced people out there: what's an acceptable dress code for a postgrad course like the EYPS?

I'm more of a jeans and T-shirt kinda guy, and what with the weather getting colder, probably a scruffy jacket over that. Is that too casual? :o

Still adjusting to the change in wardrobes. Used to be in finance, so it was always very formal with ties and stuff. Working in a setting in a T-shirt felt like I was going to work in my pajamas. xD

Regards

Mark

http://earlychildcare.wordpress.com/

Don't know about eyfs but doing fda which is after work in evening.

Dress code is v. casual and if late usually v. messy with flour from playdough and other such lovely accessories (some unmentionable) that come with working with small children.

If have time to change then jeans and sweatshirt usually - v. smart!!!

Just thought I'd ask all you experienced people out there: what's an acceptable dress code for a postgrad course like the EYPS?

Speaking as one who wears pretty much whatever comes to hand first thing in the morning, I think what to wear is as much about your personality as any kind of dress code. Thinking about our EYP sessions there was a mixture really: from the lady candidate who was always immaculately co-ordinated to me in my nursery t-shirt and trousers to a male mentor who would wear jeans and a shirt.

Wear something you're comfortable in and says something about who you are. If you don't feel comfortable you won't be relaxed and that's not a good thing when you're studying. I doubt very much whether anyone will be dressed in office suits, but on the other hand I don't suppose they'll be wearing jeans with shredded knees either.

If there was a dress code I think they would have made you aware of it before now!

Maz

Hi Marky-Sparky

Thank goodness you've had some replies from 'sensible' people......

I have no idea why........but everytime I read one of your posts....I have the urge to 'mess about'!!! :(xD

With me this is an 'affectionate' thing, I promise - so please don't take offence....

Anyway now you're sorted clothes wise - just wanted to pop in and wish you luck!

Sunny-Bunny Day! :o

Speaking as one who wears pretty much whatever comes to hand first thing in the morning,

Maz

Hey Maz - I really identify with this! My deputy (who is also a great friend) has been known to 'look me up and down' and say....

"so I guess you got dressed in the dark"!!! :o

I do try honest! :(xD

Something tells me I'll have much more of a problem staying awake, rather than trying to be relaxed. xD I'm not much for class rooms, at least not when I'm on the receiving end.

Hm, when I was attending open days and interviews, everyone else was female and some were pretty well dressed. And I wouldn't want to be known as "male who would wear jeans and t-shirt". :o

Regards

Mark

Speaking as one who wears pretty much whatever comes to hand first thing in the morning, I think what to wear is as much about your personality as any kind of dress code. Thinking about our EYP sessions there was a mixture really: from the lady candidate who was always immaculately co-ordinated to me in my nursery t-shirt and trousers to a male mentor who would wear jeans and a shirt.

Wear something you're comfortable in and says something about who you are. If you don't feel comfortable you won't be relaxed and that's not a good thing when you're studying. I doubt very much whether anyone will be dressed in office suits, but on the other hand I don't suppose they'll be wearing jeans with shredded knees either.

If there was a dress code I think they would have made you aware of it before now!

Maz

Mr Marky Sparky!

No worries, Sunny Hunny, I've yet to even come close to feeling offended, so you've got a lot more space if you like. xD

You should see some of the stuff I have to put up with in Malaysian forums...

Regards

Mark

Hi Marky-Sparky

Thank goodness you've had some replies from 'sensible' people......

I have no idea why........but everytime I read one of your posts....I have the urge to 'mess about'!!! :(:(

With me this is an 'affectionate' thing, I promise - so please don't take offence....

Anyway now you're sorted clothes wise - just wanted to pop in and wish you luck!

Sunny-Bunny Day! :o

Something tells me I'll have much more of a problem staying awake, rather than trying to be relaxed. :o I'm not much for class rooms, at least not when I'm on the receiving end.

I must say for someone about to embark on a course of study you don't sound very engaged!

I'll be interested to hear what the full time pathway is like compared to my experience of the long pathway. Our 'classroom' experience was very much about sharing knowledge and exploring together than being 'taught' but then some of us had been working in early years for twenty years, so they had a lot to share!

Hope you manage to stay awake! Let us know how you get on.

Maz

I'm engaged, just a bit let down that after such a long long wait to start the course, it's only going to be like one day a week. And the first exciting week will only be induction stuff =-/

Makes me kinda wish I'd looked for a 4-day a week job...

Regards

Mark

I must say for someone about to embark on a course of study you don't sound very engaged!

I'll be interested to hear what the full time pathway is like compared to my experience of the long pathway. Our 'classroom' experience was very much about sharing knowledge and exploring together than being 'taught' but then some of us had been working in early years for twenty years, so they had a lot to share!

Hope you manage to stay awake! Let us know how you get on.

Maz

I'm engaged, just a bit let down that after such a long long wait to start the course, it's only going to be like one day a week. And the first exciting week will only be induction stuff =-/

I thought the full time pathway involved going out on placements to gain the necessary experience of working across the age range?

Maz

Yup, it does, but not from the very start, and (I think) not throughout the entirety of the course.

My uni recommends placements in 3 different settings, sure hope I don't get too attached to the children. Already missing some of the kids at the setting I left to start the course. :o

Regards

Mark

I thought the full time pathway involved going out on placements to gain the necessary experience of working across the age range?

Maz