Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recommeded Reading List

Yesterday I received some paperwork through the post re starting my FD in a couple of weeks time, amongst this was a recommeded reading list for the first year.

Have looked on Amazon and if I get all the books its going to cost a fortune :o all those people who have already finished their yr 1 did you buy these books?

I will get them if i have to but.........gulp!!!!

You could attach your list and see if anyone has copies they don't need any more. I'm looking at my book case now thinking I could maybe do with a bit of streamlining..

Maz

Ok, here is the list:

Macleod-Brudenell, Ian Advanced Early Years Care & education UK: Heinemann

Daly, M et al Early Years Managemen in Practice UK: Heinemannn

Nutbrown, K Key Concepts in Early Childhood Education and Care UK: SAGE

James a, & James A Key Concepts in Childhood studies UK:SAGE

Miller L, Professional in the Early Years UK: Hodder Education

Taylor, J & Woods, M Early Childhood Studies an Holistic Introduction London:Arnold

Cottrell S. Critiical Thinking Skills Developing Effective Analysis & Argument London: Palgrave Study Guides

Riley, J Learning in the EArly Years 3 -7 UK: SAGE

Maynard T & Thomas N. An introduction to early childhood studies UK: SAGE

Yesterday I received some paperwork through the post re starting my FD in a couple of weeks time, amongst this was a recommeded reading list for the first year.

Have looked on Amazon and if I get all the books its going to cost a fortune :o all those people who have already finished their yr 1 did you buy these books?

I will get them if i have to but.........gulp!!!!

Hi

I am just about to embark on year 2 and I bought most of my books 2nd hand off ebay, amazon and 2nd year students, if you can borrow from the library that is a really good idea and most libraries let you renew online. I used the graduate leader fund to buy my books as I live in the sticks and getting to the library was not really an option, I have attached my bibliography and highlighted the books I have used over and over again.

Hope this helps...

L

Bibliography_of_my_books_master.docx

I have just done first year of an early years FD and I would definitely get these four. I have used them all. The Macleod-Brudenell has been quoted in all my assignments this year. The Cottrell one will help you to structure your assignments well and get good marks

Macleod-Brudenell, Ian Advanced Early Years Care & education UK: Heinemann

Daly, M et al Early Years Managemen in Practice UK: Heinemannn

Cottrell S. Critiical Thinking Skills Developing Effective Analysis & Argument London: Palgrave Study Guides

Taylor, J & Woods, M Early Childhood Studies an Holistic Introduction London:Arnold

I have a different book by Cathy Nutbrown which is excellent so I would recommend her as an author.

Nutbrown, K Key Concepts in Early Childhood Education and Care UK: SAGE

I don't know these books but I would probably not buy three which are about early childhood studies. You will be able to borrow from your local library and your college/uni library too. Don't forget this is the list for the first year not the first week.

James a, & James A Key Concepts in Childhood studies UK:SAGE

Miller L, Professional in the Early Years UK: Hodder Education

Riley, J Learning in the EArly Years 3 -7 UK: SAGE

Maynard T & Thomas N. An introduction to early childhood studies UK: SAGE

Don't try to plough through them all quickly or you'll feel completely overwhelmed. Take your time and just pick out the bits you are interested in or those sections which cover your first modules.

Good luck.

Am I looking at the right book here? Advanced Early years care and education......the price is £120.00

Well I paid £20 for mine !!!

Editor Iain Macleod-Brundell, one of my most used books in the first year - still use it now as a 'security read'

What we did in our year group -once we got to know each other - we'd each buy one or two different books from list and then we'd have a little 'workshops' and all bring our books in to share. Also we became such a close group (only 7 of us) that we'd all know what each other was looking into- so would bookmark it for them.

mrsb....at £120, is that a hard-backed copy???Always try ebay for any books, you will save a fortune.It's also worth asking your tutor to ask if any of her old students have books to sell....that will save you postage too!

Absolutely agree - you can get some really good bargains as long as you don't keep forgetting to bid like I do.

Just be careful because sometimes they cost more on ebay than Amazon. Do a quick check before you bid.

I am about to start 3rd year too, where r u doing it and have u thought of research topic yet?

Jam17

Im doing the course through my local college in partnership with University of Chichester.....can I ask what you mean by research topic? I have not been told anything yet, my first day is 17th Sept for an Inducation.

Im doing the course through my local college in partnership with University of Chichester.....can I ask what you mean by research topic? I have not been told anything yet, my first day is 17th Sept for an Inducation.

I have a feeling that Jam17 might have been asking wellerkaren who said at the beginning that she is about to embark on her third year.

Don't even think about research topics yet. You have specific subjects to look at in your first modules so you don't have to make decisions about what to research until much later.

If your college looks after you like mine have you'll have plenty of notice about things and lots of information and support to help you through.

Good luck

I have a feeling that Jam17 might have been asking wellerkaren who said at the beginning that she is about to embark on her third year.

Don't even think about research topics yet. You have specific subjects to look at in your first modules so you don't have to make decisions about what to research until much later.

If your college looks after you like mine have you'll have plenty of notice about things and lots of information and support to help you through.

Good luck

ooppsss.....sorry I think they took out my brain when they took out my gallbladder!!! :o

ooppsss.....sorry I think they took out my brain when they took out my gallbladder!!! :o

I know that feeling well!

I felt it even more strongly after my FD induction day! I kept looking at all the other people and being convinced that they knew exactly what the tutors were talking about. I was sure that I wasn't capable of doing the course. I found out later that everyone else felt the same way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)