Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Had Some Good News That I Wanted To Share

For those who are not familiar with my story, a little bit of background for you:

I did my level 3 in 2004/2005 having just had my first baby, then went straight on to do the FD in 2006. Did the first year of the FD, had a few wobbles, doubts etc. 3 weeks into the second year, I found out I was pregnant with my second. Did the whole of the second year and had the baby 3 weeks before the end. I handed my research report in about a week after he was born and also did a couple of outstanding exams.

When I left college after my FD, the intention was to take a bit of time out (a year, tops) to concentrate on the family. I had started studying when my daughter was three months old and had missed so much of her first year, that I decided I didn't want to do that when I had my son.

All my friends from college went on to do Year 3 of the degree and I sat at home getting fed up and a bit jealous so decided to go and do GCSE maths again, having got an E 11 years ago first time round.

Anyway, as of today, I now have a C at GCSE in maths! I am so happy about it and now don't feel like I have wasted a year when I could have been finishing my degree. I am due back to college in a couple of weeks to begin the third year and then, who knows?! Having a C now means I can go onto do other things.

If you need to do it and are putting it off, please don't! It's really not that scary, but I have to say, because of my fear of maths and because I'm just not very good at it or confident, I feel as though I have put almost as much into it as I did my FD. Almost, but not quite! The buzz I have today has made me even more determined to see this studying business through to the end. I am so happy and just wanted to share, as I do with all my massive achievements on here! :oxD:(

Thats fantastic news Clare....you must be so proud! :o

You mustn't think you wasted a year though. Having a new baby to care for isn't a waste of time but I know what you're saying. It must have been hard to watch your friends being busy with their studies while you weren't.

Now of course you have this new GCSE and are rightly proud of it. Good luck for your return next month knowing your maths gcse will stand you in good stead. Will you ultimately gain EYPS? I may have to repeat my maths in order to do just that. I just discovered I failed maths in the exam nearly 30 years ago!!!!

I wish you the best of luck and hope you are celebrating your achievement in style! xD

Wooo Hoooo Calre, well done...I am going to do mine at some point and am terrified of it...it is my stumbling block for EYP...but this year I will give it a go...well done again ...

Well done Clare its not easy

I imagine passing your maths now means so much more to you than when you got your GCSE's at school

so Well done!!! are you doing anything special celebrate your achievement?

(I am currently at home consoling my daughter who has just got her GCSE results and they're not good)

Dublinbay, my intitial plan was to finish my degree and do PGCE but I received a phone call from the college I did my FD with asking me if I would like to begin EYPS in September. I can't do it because the days between the two courses and colleges clash, so was told that I could consider doing a short pathway when my degree is finished. If it is possible for me to do this, I might consider it, as my other half will be studying for the next three years too. All it will mean is putting off the PGCE for a bit longer, maybe another year.

Shirel, really don't worry about it. I think you have to big yourself up about the things you can do and then just remember that feeling for the stuff you can't. I did mine with my other half (he got a C too) and it was better having someone to go through it with you. Myabe consider going with another person? It really does help.

Alison, sorry to hear of your daughter's news. I was dreading that it could go either way (although at the time of the exams, I did feel like I had done quite well). You are right though, achieving this at this point in my life and career means far more to me than doing so at school and I think it is because now I have a career plan in my head and to get there, I have to do certain things, horrible or not. If I didn't have to do the maths, I know I would have put it off and probably never done it. Shortly after the original GCSE's I went back to college to resit it. Four times. I just lost interest, couldn't be bothered. I never sat another maths exam until this year (unless you count Key Skills tests).

Sam, thanks for the congrats!

This evening, my best friend has agreed to babysit so we can go out and celebrate. This really is more of an achievement than my degree because I knew (kind of) that I would get to the end of that. I didn't hold out much hope on the maths front. My dad bless him, has had to listen to me going on and on about all these courses I want to do, and because my maths is so terrible he found it quite funny me going and doing it again, not in a horrible way you see, more of a family joke kind of way. It was so bad when I was at school, my parents paid for a private tutor to come to our house 2-3 times a week. I got an E back then so he probably wasn't holding out much hope! It might not have been worth it then, but at least all the money my parents paid to the poor tutor have amounted to something, albeit a few years later!

Well done Clare! Hopefully you'll inspire a few others who think they'll never get it. :o

Great minds, Beau!

Well done Clare - what a heartening tale. Many congratulations - hope you'll be celebrating later!

Maz

Even though I have said it on FB.

Congratulations on getting your C grade.

Ummm if I am stuck with my Maths GCSE I know who to come to! Although I have my name down for me to do GCSE's Maths and English starting in 2 weeks time, I still feel that I need to check with work (next week) to make sure I can start (and of course pay got 50% discount) the courses the week after in the evenings.

Beth

Congratulations!!!! :oxD:(:(

You have been busy for the past few years!

As others have said before me, you will inspire those of us on here who want to do something but are wary of taking that final leap!!

Enjoy your night out tonight :(

CONGRATULATIONS CLARE :o

Well done you, I'm so chuffed for you. xD

I'm thinking that although hard work at times the study must have been quite refreshing too. No researching theorists, analysing, evaluating and reams of essay writing.

I think once over the initial barriers to working with numbers and other mathematical concepts, it must be quite interesting to learn all the different things you can do with them. :(

Peggy

Congratulations on all your achievements, exams and babies, you must be very organised to complete all this with two small children!!

:oxD:( Wouldn't go quite that far..! :(:( :wacko:

Unfortunately for all the children and studying my poor house has suffered terribly! I have 2 days child free next week to get on top of it before I go back to work and uni for Year 3!

• 2 weeks later...