Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Rhymes

Hi

I am thinking about my first introductory topic before we embark on the children's interest. We did 'Ourselves' last year but it bored me to tears so I am plumping for Nursery Rhymes this year.

What has been your favourite nursery rhyme to teach and why?

My favourite was Humpty Dumpty because we had lots of problem solving ideas with building walls to reach a certain height, making vessels to carry eggs, building walls out of different materials, investigating how far we could throw an egg and experimenting with different landing materials to see what impact it would have on the egg when it landed.

How about you folks?

Sounds very messy, with frequently tragic endings for Mr Dumpty xD

The kids I'm involved with are a little younger, so the activities are simpler.

I like wind the bobbin up, as the kids enjoy the hand movements and clapping, which is also useful for keeping their hands busy during nappy changing.

I also like jingle jangle scarecrow (or something like that :o ), as the kids really enjoy the body movements in that song as well. It's also useful for tiring them out :(

Regards

Mark

http://earlychildcare.wordpress.com/

Hi

I am thinking about my first introductory topic before we embark on the children's interest. We did 'Ourselves' last year but it bored me to tears so I am plumping for Nursery Rhymes this year.

What has been your favourite nursery rhyme to teach and why?

My favourite was Humpty Dumpty because we had lots of problem solving ideas with building walls to reach a certain height, making vessels to carry eggs, building walls out of different materials, investigating how far we could throw an egg and experimenting with different landing materials to see what impact it would have on the egg when it landed.

How about you folks?

I also like Humpty Dumpty - we made medicine to make him better, gave children range of ingredients and they could mix together, with sometimes explosive results (e.g. lemon juice and bi-carb of soda)! Children loved this! Also liked 'Queen of Hearts' (making jam tarts, patterns with different colour tarts), Mary, Mary (more patterns with flowers, role-play area as Garden Centre) and Incey Wincey (lots of fun with drain pipes and water, making spiders and webs).

I also like Humpty Dumpty - we made medicine to make him better, gave children range of ingredients and they could mix together, with sometimes explosive results (e.g. lemon juice and bi-carb of soda)! Children loved this! Also liked 'Queen of Hearts' (making jam tarts, patterns with different colour tarts), Mary, Mary (more patterns with flowers, role-play area as Garden Centre) and Incey Wincey (lots of fun with drain pipes and water, making spiders and webs).

OOh I like those ideas, may have to pinch some if that's ok?

Haha, are you sure? I can't be blamed, I'm new, and usually each person I hear singing it sings it differently! :( Suffice to say, the kids recognise the song when I sing it. xD

Regards

Mark

Fairly sure Mark!!! :o

Do you do the first bit - when all the children lay down on the floor asleep..........

When all the cows were sleeping

And the sun had gone to bed

Out jumped a scarecrow

And this is what he said...........

I'm a Dingle Dangle Scarecrow etc.etc.

Hey, of course I do the whole thing! With a little artistic variation :o but they still love to do the lying down and jumping out bit.

Regards

Mark

Fairly sure Mark!!! xD

Do you do the first bit - when all the children lay down on the floor asleep..........

When all the cows were sleeping

And the sun had gone to bed

Out jumped a scarecrow

And this is what he said...........

I'm a Dingle Dangle Scarecrow etc.etc.

Sorry Mark :o how could I have doubted that you knew the 'first bit'!!! xD

Hi Rufus - an activity to go with 'Incy Wincy Spider'......

Card with spider drawn on - children colour and then cut out spider........thread string through the middle - take a kitchen roll tube - make a hole fairly near the top - thread the other end of the string through and out the bottom of the tube - the spider will then climb the water spout - mind you it's on the outside!!! My children have really enjoyed this activity!

You could make amends by teaching me the Bunny Song =-P

Also starts out with kids lying down, something about what's wrong with the bunnies, lying so still, are they ill =-P

Then the only bit I really know is "Hop little bunnies hop hop hop" =-P

Regards

Mark

Sorry Mark :o how could I have doubted that you knew the 'first bit'!!! xD

Hi Rufus - an activity to go with 'Incy Wincy Spider'......

Card with spider drawn on - children colour and then cut out spider........thread string through the middle - take a kitchen roll tube - make a hole fairly near the top - thread the other end of the string through and out the bottom of the tube - the spider will then climb the water spout - mind you it's on the outside!!! My children have really enjoyed this activity!

You could make amends by teaching me the Bunny Song =-P

Also starts out with kids lying down, something about what's wrong with the bunnies, lying so still, are they ill =-P

Then the only bit I really know is "Hop little bunnies hop hop hop" =-P

Regards

Mark

Oh I would if I could........but ........I don't know it.......someone will I'm sure :o

See the little bunnies sleeping til it's nearly noon

Come and let us wake them up with a merry tune.

Oh how still,

Are they ill?

Wake up soon

PAUSE for as long as they can last and then.....

Hop little rabbits,hop, hop, hop

Hop little rabbits, hop hop hop repeat one more time then end with hop and stop.

:o:(xD

see the sleeping bunnies

sleep until its noon

shall we try to wake them with a merry tune

oh so still

are they ill

wake little bunnies.. hop hop

I'm sure its something like this, i sing it every week, i have 6 weeks off and i forget the words... oh dear!!!!

See the little bunnies sleeping 'til it's nearly noon

shall we try to wake them with a merry tune?

Oh so still............are they ill?...............

jumping bunnies jump jump jump

jumping bunnes jump jump jump

jump jump jump

Oh dear, you see what I mean about artistic variation? 3 different variations! :o

I was going to go with simcity's version, because I'd like it to include "bunnies" and "hop" as opposed to rabbits and jump, but she didn't complete it. :)

There really should be a website out there with details on the songs, movements, benefits etc. If there isn't, someone should go and make one. xD

I hope I didn't accidentally hijack the thread...

Regards

Mark

See the little bunnies sleeping 'til it's nearly noon

shall we try to wake them with a merry tune?

Oh so still............are they ill?...............

jumping bunnes jump jump jump

jump jump jump

I've remembered our second verse...

we sing

hop little bunnies, hop, hop, hop

hop little bunnies hop hop hop

and stop... then they all go back too sleep

see it comes slowly....must be the time of night....or the alcohol!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)