Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Play Dough Scented Oils

Hi everybody,

Just a quick question...I am wanting to add scented oils into the play dough, any idea which ones are good, and also are there any health and saftey issues i should be aware of. Are there any, that can not be used?

Hoe someone out there can help

misspink

xx

I generally use baby oil rather than cooking oil when I make it anyway. You'd need to be careful of using the scented oils as they are incredibly strong and are intended to be used with a carrier oil to dilute them. If you were going to do it, I'd suggest just one drop would be plenty

In the past I have used things like strawberry, orange, lemon flavouring or vanilla or peppermint essence to enhance the play dough you can get things like that easily from the baking section of supermarkets, someone else has suggested infusing the water with different tasting teas but have not tried this as yet.

We've used lavender essential oil (just a couple of drops) and also included lavender flowers for texture and extra scent.....calmed the children down occasionally too :o

I too like the baby oil.

I also have a gingerbread and a plum and cinnamon essential oil from the body shop. I only use a couple of drops too. The plum is beautiful around christmas.

I love playdough :-)

I too like the baby oil.

I also have a gingerbread and a plum and cinnamon essential oil from the body shop. I only use a couple of drops too. The plum is beautiful around christmas.

I love playdough :-)

anyone got a brilliant recpie for playdough?

Hi

If you make play dough and add lots of coco powder the dough turn a lovely rich brown colour which when rolled etc gives off an amazing chocolate scent......yummy.

lou

I use peppermint essence and lemon essence....lovely :( .....good enough to eat...let's face it there are always a couple of children who like to have a chew whether it smells nice or not...it's the 'snot' flavour I am not too keen on....atchoooooo!! :o:(xD

Edited by Guest

I got the best recipe ever from another thread some time ago - you don't even have to cook it!! (Or wash up the saucepan :o )

2 cups plain flour (1 cup flour, 1 cup cocoa for chocolate dough)

1 cup salt

2 cups boiling water

4 tsps cream of tartar

2 tbsps cooking oil (but after reading this I'm going to try baby oil)

food colouring

1. Put flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a large bowl.

2. Pour in 2 cups of boiling water (and food colouring) - make sure it hasn't cooled down.

3. Mix quickly with spoon.

4. When cooled slightly, knead into a ball.

Not sure whose recipe this was but thank you very much for it!!

Beware mixing cocoa in for chocolate playdough - some people (eg my TA, my teaching student xD ) really hate the smell - but I LOVE it!

I'm still on my quest to find out how to make really brightly coloured playdough... Any ideas?

add fluorescent ready mix paint

When I add paint rather than food colouring, the consistency goes all sticky. How do you overcome this problem?

Do you use powder paint or liquid paint, and what kind of quantities? Where does it come in the recipe - do you colour the water, the mixture as you're mixing, or the finished dough?

Hi emmajess, must confess to never having used paint in playdough, but I would stick to the cooking adage - wet ingredients with wet and dry ingredients with dry. So mix powder paint in with your flour, or ready made paint in with the water. The stickiness may come from not cooking the mixture long for long enough, or too much liquid perhaps.

I tend to use cake colourants from proper cake making shops, used to colour icing to get the shades I need, they are more expensive than the supermarket liquid type colourings but you do get a lot of colours and depth of colour and only need a small quantity of the colourings to achieve excellent results.

I tend to use cake colourants from proper cake making shops, used to colour icing to get the shades I need, they are more expensive than the supermarket liquid type colourings but you do get a lot of colours and depth of colour and only need a small quantity of the colourings to achieve excellent results.

I buy mine from 'The Range'. They have a good cake decorating section and I bought my muffin tree there :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)