Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Community Playthings

I have been thinking about buying community blocks for the pre-school but am undecided about which ones to buy. I know that I will have to decide whether to buy Pre-school or Introductory size packages. We are a packaway setting and would need to buy the set with a trolley of some sort. We have up tp 26 children a session and i don't want to buy a set that is too small but on the other hand I have to pack it all away daily. I noticed that there are shelving units as well, have they got castors? I have sent for a catalogue and have just looked online for information. I just wondered whether you have any advice please????

Sue J

We bought the school set of unit blocks which is more than we need (have passed some onto Y1)

The trolley has wheels that fold up to stop the children pushing it around when you don't want it to move.

Oh and we have some full sized hollow blocks.

Edited by Marion

The trolleys are a godsend with those retractable wheels. We are going to buy some more1

I know what you mean by 'how much to buy' - not enough hampers play and too many takes ages to tidy. Our children tend to use the larger blocks more than the small, but that was last year's cohort....!

Jenni

We were extremely lucky in our area the LA provided a fall set of the unit blocks to all pre-schools and reception classes.

I love them........and more importantly so do the children........packing away is part of the 'fun' - we don't often put ours all back in the 'trolley' - but stack them in 'sizes' - children have a great time sorting them all out - with just a little adult support (should have said we're pre-school)

Sorry just looked at your post again and noticed that you are packaway - still it's not difficult to get them all back in the trolley!

I would love to add some of the 'hollow' ones - will have to see whether the 'budget' allows!

I made a 'wall display' for this area - which has - continuous provision sheet, photos of the children using the blocks and some pictures of 'iconic' buildings - downloaded from 'google images' - looks good - well i think so!

Sunnyday

We have the set of blocks in the box with wheels and a lid.

Makes it easy to get out and move around.

Also as the box has a lid you can use it as a little table top if no one has the bricks out!!

Excellent resource.

Recently we have added hollow bricks (though we have nowhere to put those!!) to our collection and they are great too!

have been thinking about buying community blocks for the pre-school but am undecided about which ones to buy

I can't advise on which ones are best for your setting but we have the large and small sets and tidying away by size and shape is part of the fun and the children enjoy it.

pictures of 'iconic' buildings - downloaded from 'google images'

Don't download and print watch out for calendars which have beautiful full colour pictures ready to laminate.Reduced in February is a good time and I find 'The Works' usually has a good selection-Van gogh, 1000 places to see before you die! and a great one called Rainbows I got this year.

I can't advise on which ones are best for your setting but we have the large and small sets and tidying away by size and shape is part of the fun and the children enjoy it.

Don't download and print watch out for calendars which have beautiful full colour pictures ready to laminate.Reduced in February is a good time and I find 'The Works' usually has a good selection-Van gogh, 1000 places to see before you die! and a great one called Rainbows I got this year.

Great advice there biccy - thanks - but it was one of those 'jobs' I wanted to get done while I was feeling all 'inspired'!!! :o

Edited by sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)