Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hello From Scotland!

MrsWeasley

So I just thought I'd pop on and see what's happening. This wasn't such a good idea, as everything's taking ages to load!

There's not a lot happening her is Largs really! We've been on lots of walks by the sea anf that's about it really. I've managed to be bitten about 5 million times by who knows what!! I've only really got tomorrow left here, as Tuesday will be spend cleaning the flat and packing and Wednesday travelling home.

I think you should all know that I won a hot dog sweet on one of those 2p machines in the arcade - it was probably the proudest moment of the week. Apart from maybe getting 2 ice cream cones cause the lady broke the bottom off the first one!

I hope everyone is having a good holiday!

Siobhan x

In Scotland ( and elsewhere) you will be eaten alive by insects unless you are well prepared. Mosiguard jel and and mosiguard spray, and and then a lovely holday. Light a fire and sit in the smoke if you need to.. After mosi then no problems. I know as I have terrible problems with bites and my allergy, and have even had to go into hospital with extreme reactions. Mosiguard has been a life safer for me.

Mosiguard has been a life safer for me.

You'd think someone would have told her that before they went, wouldn't you JacquieL? Like her boyfriend's family who actually own the flat they're staying in? She'll know for next time... :o

Maz

Us from oop north take these things for granted. Aren't the family French? Now I know qbout that as so are mine, but my great granny was a Blackburn from Preston-pans. The French and the Scots are closely linked.

Well remembered: Mum is indeed French!

Maz

We just got back from a little place called Dunster (near Minehead) where we had lots of rain the first half of the week but we didn't have any midges!!!!!

However when the four of us went to Scotland some years back there were MILLIONS of midges......... but they only bit my husband!!!

Now what does that say??""""""

(Made for some good photos though!!!!!!)

However when the four of us went to Scotland some years back there were MILLIONS of midges......... but they only bit my husband!!!

I wouldn't mind betting that MrsWeasley's boyfriend is currently bite free too - will text and ask!

Maz

glad you had a good time,

for mossies - I take vitamin B tabs as they are supposed to prevent them biting you, so far so good, not had a bite fro a couple of years... sis in kiwiland recommended it as they have loads there and it worked for her..

I too have a lovely reaction to the bites with blisters so will try anything to help prevent them.

And I love Dunster, we often go for a day/afternoon out, not far from us

Inge

Glad you're having a good time......apart from the bugs!! :o

My remedy for bug bites is copious quantities of alcohol......the bugs don't like the taste as the alcohol sweats out through your pores!! :(

Does it work???? Don't really know but it's fun trying year after year. Oh dear! All that alcohol! xD:(

[We are due to travel to scotland on friday for our holiday. love scotland most holidays spent there. This year we are taking mountain bikes as youngster(10) is now able to cycle 20 miles a day. My husband always gets bitten but have discovered skin so sof from avon, husband smells NICE and the midges dont bite.

Glad I came across this thread, it's my mums 80th Birthday on the 30th Aug, so I've bought her the 'novelty' Lady of the Manor, one inch square of land in Scotlad (Nr a Loch Riddon- Argyll & Bute).

I'm planning to take her up to Scotland so she can visit her 'Estate' xD , and her place of birth, look out any relatives etc etc.

I now know to pack some Insect repelent. :o

Peggy

Glad you're having a good time......apart from the bugs!! :wacko:

My remedy for bug bites is copious quantities of alcohol......the bugs don't like the taste as the alcohol sweats out through your pores!! :ph34r:

Does it work???? Don't really know but it's fun trying year after year. Oh dear! All that alcohol! ;):ph34r:

I have to say that when my dad drinks an 'amount' (I use that word loosely, it depends on how the football match ends) of alcohol when abroad, he always gets a few bites!

I have also witnessed cockroaches getting drunk on Sangria!!!! xDxD:( :rolleyes:

Yes I know what you are all thinking - "How drunk was spud when she saw this??" Honestly its true, we were on holiday and the weather was very warm and someone had spilt some sangria at the table next to ours. We witnessed the cockroaches climbing up out of the drain and swimming in the stuff. Half an hour later, they were drunk and couldn't get back down the drain again!! They were staggering and everything! :o The song "Help me I wanna go home" springs to mind!

And before you ask, I was stone cold sober!!! :( :unsure:

Does that throw the alcohol theory out the window?? In saying that, I dont remember the cockroaches complaining about being biten by anything!! :ph34r:

Oh and another thing to remember while trying out this theory - try to stay upright!!! Falling over could mean waking your family from their nights sleep and having one very tired daughter sitting beside you while you spend the night in the A&E department of the nearest hospital with a big gash in your head which requires 10 staples to hold it together!!!! This may also lead to a serious amount of people 'taking the michael' and a severe ear bashing from the other half!! :(

You think it wont happen to you?????? I have pictures to prove that it does, I was said daughter!

Edited by Guest

By the time I posted this I was way past the stage of needing insect repelant... haha. I've only got a few left now, and they don't bother me until I remember that they're there... like now.!

I'm on the trian on the way home, not a clue where we are though. Somewhere between Carlisle and somewhere else?

SImon has fallen asleep and I'm bored bored bored!! So thought I'd pop on here.

:o