Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Foundation Degree

Hi all,

I know there are quite a few studying here for the EYFS Foundation Degree and I admire all of you. I am due to start my course in September and I was wondering, can anyone give me some advice as to what I can expect. I thought it was a good idea at first to go for this but now I am wondering if I have done the right thing.

I am a childminder so I do not have the experience of working within a nursery setting.

Any advice as to what I should start looking at would be wonderful here.

Thanks

Jan x

Hi Jan

Well done for even considering it - I have just completed my second year - one more to go!

You don't say where you will be doing your degree - I am doing it part time - one night a week at partner college of uni.

You may find yourself inundated with information not just about your course but also about being a student. Try to organise yourself so that you have a place for all this incoming information and try to read it not in depth but just to register some things at the back of your mind. Even after 2 years I am still referring to admin stuff I got in my first year.

If you are studying with others you will find yourself with a range of individuals from all different backgrounds and working environments - one of the people on my course is a nanny and others are working for local authorities or within children's centres as well as a variety of different early years settings.

Everyone brings something unique to course nights and its lots of fun as well as hard work.

If you have family warn them now that sometimes your assignment will come first, second, third and fourth - especially as you near your hand in deadlines. Even my dog now knows to keep a low profile when I am battering away at the computer.

This forum is also a great place to bounce ideas and get really valuable feedback.

Best of luck

Sue

Congratulations, Jan - I am sure you won't regret your decision!

My advice for what it is worth is not to worry too much! The new term will come round soon enough and then you can get stuck in. I wish I had taken some time to make sure my house was really tidy before I started - there never seems enough hours in the day when you've an assignment deadline zooming!

Also, spend time catching up with friends in advance to make up for the times when you go for a month without speaking to them because you have so much to do!

So far I'm not really selling it, am I?

Have you been given any reading lists? When I started mine, we were asked to read one book over the holidays, but otherwise were asked to relax and enjoy a lovely summer in preparation for the hard work to come.

It is hard work, but it can be done and I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. Keep coming on here and asking for support/advice/ideas etc as much as you feel necessary, but above all enjoy it. I learned so much during my foundation degree, and I would recommend it to anyone with the drive and determination to put the work in.

And as SueJ says, everyone brings their own unique perspectives to their studies - so your perspective as a childminder is as valid as anyone's!

Maz

Hello Jan

Relax I am sure you will enjoy the FD. I was also working as a childminder when I did the course and as the previous person stated your group will probaly consist of people from all areas of childcare. Read up on study skills, child development, reflective practice, child protection, childcare legislation and EYFS . These are just a few things we covered but lots more and I feel that I gained a lot of knowledge and have grown in confidence since doing the course.I am also positive it helped me to get two jobs when I had completed the course! I am working as a children centre worker now.

I have just completed mine, i'm just about to start BA hons in september. It can be done, it does take up lots of time and you do learn to juggle!!!!! I managed mine juggling a family with 2 children and i'm the manager of a pre-school with a non active committee, so doing all the paperwork.

My advice would be to have seperate folders for each assignment notes, i did mine full time, so one day we would do one unit and the next day the other, if you dont file your notes you forget which unit they came from.

My other bit of advice is, if you are given a handout make sure you write down who gave it to you and the date in case you want to use it as a quote in an assignment,

At the beginning you will feel like throwing it in but perserve you can do it and in no time at all your at the end and you'll wonder where the time went. You do make some great friends and i now quite miss our little group......

we had 2 childminders in our group both passed the degree and coped really well, you can do it.......

Good Luck

Hi Jan. I'm doing my Foundation Degree part time with the Open University.

In my various tutorial groups there has always been many child-minders (last group was 7 out of 15). As far as I'm aware they are still going strong and still using tutorials to discuss problems and support needs specific to their profession.

I'm sure you will do very well and it is normal to feel a bit nervous before starting out on something like the FD. People on the forum are very generous in supporting each other and giving advice and sometimes just listening when you need an ear (or several).

Good luck for next month and let us know how the studying goes won't you! :o You can do this!!!! xD

Thank you so much to everyone who replied already.... I am nervous and all your replies helped me .... thankyou xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have done one year of an early years foundation degree and I was dreadfully nervous before I started. I have been really impressed by the amount of support we have been given. I too am a childminder and the tutors have been very supportive in finding ways for me to cover everything.

I have also found lots of support amongst the other students who felt just as nervous as I did.

My family have learned to fend for themselves a lot this year which has been no bad thing.

Just make sure that you get hold of the recommended reading early on so you don't have to cram things in at the last minute.

Don't worry - I have enjoyed the last year immensely. It is so good to learn the theory behind what I was already doing instinctively.

Yes, it can be hard work at times but it is also a lot of fun and really interesting.

Hi Just got my results and I pass but thought I did really badly and so happy.

My only advice is make good use of the calender so that you do not get behind and if you can keep slighltly ahead so that if anything happens you can afford to miss a night or week.

other advice is find a space or area where you are relax and can study well. but rest assure yourself that you can do as it can be really hard going at times but tell yourself that it can be done.

Good luck. I start my next course in Oct 2009, looking forward to it again!

take care

Congratulations on passing, Moonshine and welcome to the Forum if I haven't welcomed you before.

Good advice about finding a place to study comfortably - something I never quite managed!

Maz

I too have just completed my first year of the foundation degree!

I have been in college one day a week to do it.

For me one of the biggest challenges was managing my full time job so that I did all I could on a Friday, because I wasn't back in until Tuesday!

Only actually being in work 4 days a week has taken alot of getting used to.

I have decided that time management for me is the important thing............. oh ad having a space to work in!

I can tidy my desk for hours at a time and then have no tme left to work on an assignment!

The course has taught me to say "No" too.............. No I haven't got time!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am lucky that my own children are older and that my husband supports me and knows I sometimes need time and space!

I have enjoyed it. I feel I know more now even though I had been doing the job for about 12 years and been a nursery nurse....... forever!!!

My advice?

Make the most of the free time now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy x

Thank you so much for the advice, I am also just attending one day a week and I have taken onboard your advice about time management and finding a place to work in that is solely mine.

Congrats! on completing your first year.

xx

I too have just completed my first year of the foundation degree!

I have been in college one day a week to do it.

For me one of the biggest challenges was managing my full time job so that I did all I could on a Friday, because I wasn't back in until Tuesday!

Only actually being in work 4 days a week has taken alot of getting used to.

I have decided that time management for me is the important thing............. oh ad having a space to work in!

I can tidy my desk for hours at a time and then have no tme left to work on an assignment!

The course has taught me to say "No" too.............. No I haven't got time!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am lucky that my own children are older and that my husband supports me and knows I sometimes need time and space!

I have enjoyed it. I feel I know more now even though I had been doing the job for about 12 years and been a nursery nurse....... forever!!!

My advice?

Make the most of the free time now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy x

to all the above I'd also add - start recognising how things are referenced......and try and doing it the requirements of your uni from day one!

Also I kept a master ref list as I read books etc which I could just 'cut and paste' into different assighments as needed.

Nothing worse than living the bibligraphy to the end and thinking it will only take an hour or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

sorry about bad spelling and grammar!!!

Edited by louby loo

to all the above I'd also add - start recognising how things are referenced......and try and doing it the requirements of your uni from day one!

Also I kept a master ref list as I read books etc which I could just 'cut and paste' into different assighments as needed.

Nothing worse than living the bibligraphy to the end and thinking it will only take an hour or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

sorry about bad spelling and grammar!!!

Very, very good point louby loo! I have learned the hard way to record every reference as I get the books. I too have a master list which I copy and paste from to make each reference list. Leave plenty of time for proof reading, references, printing etc. It will take longer than you think.

Edited by AlisonP

Echo excellent advice on referencing - it took me ages to get my head around harvard style

Also remember you will not just reference from books, references will be from journals, internet, government documents and even t.v. programmes - A fellow student on my course referred me to "Cite them right" by richard pears ad graham shields - best £4.99 i spent as it is quite easy to see how things are referenced across a wide variety of materials.

I use this alongside my uni's guidance - sometimes this is clearer!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)