Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colour Blind

Hi Everyone,

Please could anyone advise me if they have any assessment for a child that they may think is colour blind?

I have had a look on the internet but couldn't really find anything of use.

Thank you

I think this really is a job for an optician, they have special tests they carry out. For many children it is shades in colour that they miss, reds and greens being very difficult for them to distinguish.

For many years, we thought our eldest son was colour blind, he had done the tests at the optician - she did them a few times over the 15 years or so that he went. When he wanted a career as an Air Traffic Controller, he had another colour blindness test with the same optician - low and behold - he was no longer colour blind, turns out he says he was playing about with her before but didn't know how to tell everyone after it had gone on for so long.

I agree with Panders about seeing the optician - or your doctor come to that. How old is the child?

We thought my youngest was colour blind for the longest time when he was at pre-school. He was able to match colours if you asked him to find something of a certain colour and showed him something of that colour at the same time. But if you asked him what colour something was, or asked him to pass you the blue scissors, he would invariably get it wrong.

Turns out he was having problems learning what the label 'blue' or whatever meant. Once he'd cracked what it meant to be blue or red or yellow, he was fine.

Maz

I have a set of the spotty cards somewhere - but if he's not recognising numerals yet, they'll be no good really

I'm sure they do cards with pictures for littlies, Cait!

He is pre school age. He seems to struggle with red and green. He is ok with yellow and blue. Sometimes I think it might be a concentration thing but not sure.

colours are hard for some children to grasp my children understood shapes numbers letter but both found colours hard to understand I think its because its such an absract thing

Id agree I think its an optitions that diagnose colour blindness

must say I dont know anyone who is colourblind to ask have you tried google?

Colour blindness can very often not be determined until the child is at least 7, unless things have changed. There was a school of thought that said colour differentiation / discrimination was not secure until this age. Some colours are much easier than others for children to see. It will very often be shades of colours that are not seen properly by the colour blind.

Having said that my son was diagnosed colour blind at about 6 by his opthamologist, as he had previously had a squint corrected, in a routine eye examination. We had previously noticed that when we had moved house when he was 4, the pale pink walls in the lounge had been identified as white and on another occasion a pale purple was called grey.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)