Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

Hiya, using ideas and examples from here and all over the internet I have changed our planning... (still got to decide on a final focus plan format). (we are pack away preschool).

I've attached it all as I hope someone can use parts of it... thank you to all of you helpful people on here!!!!!

(the long term plan also includes continuous provision documents but I've not uploaded them as I don't know who/where I adapted them from, suffice to say, the long term also consists of continuous provision plans)

We have a reflective planning meeting every week where the team comes together with obs and we decide on what we need to add/adapt etc. and discuss children's interests/needs.

There has been lots of discussion on here about topics/themes and I just wanted to add that for the past year we completely lost topics/themes and I that the children were worse off. I have introduced a medium term plan back into the planning and have planned some activities on the long term plan once again ( so we don't spend the whole year as superheroes), these themes will be used loosely and if we go off track completely that is also fine. (anyway I'll go on forever if I start) I think the word I want to use is 'balance' :) ask me in 6 months and I may have changed it all again, thank goodness for the words 'working document'! :o

Thanx again everyone.

Carla x

Croft_Preschool_EYFS_Long_Term_Plan.doc

medium_term_planning_september_to_october_2009.doc

Short_term_plan_2nd_september_2009.doc

Hiya, using ideas and examples from here and all over the internet I have changed our planning... (still got to decide on a final focus plan format). (we are pack away preschool).

I've attached it all as I hope someone can use parts of it... thank you to all of you helpful people on here!!!!!

(the long term plan also includes continuous provision documents but I've not uploaded them as I don't know who/where I adapted them from, suffice to say, the long term also consists of continuous provision plans)

We have a reflective planning meeting every week where the team comes together with obs and we decide on what we need to add/adapt etc. and discuss children's interests/needs.

There has been lots of discussion on here about topics/themes and I just wanted to add that for the past year we completely lost topics/themes and I that the children were worse off. I have introduced a medium term plan back into the planning and have planned some activities on the long term plan once again ( so we don't spend the whole year as superheroes), these themes will be used loosely and if we go off track completely that is also fine. (anyway I'll go on forever if I start) I think the word I want to use is 'balance' :) ask me in 6 months and I may have changed it all again, thank goodness for the words 'working document'! :o

Thanx again everyone.

Carla x

Hi. Really interested in your planninmg. Looks very impressive!!! Do you do that level of focused planning written down for all your focused activities??? We do activity but don't write down on plan nearly as much info as you do. am in a school based nursery with 30 children each session. just been 2 of us up to now but about to get third person. hooray.

Hi. Really interested in your planninmg. Looks very impressive!!! Do you do that level of focused planning written down for all your focused activities??? We do activity but don't write down on plan nearly as much info as you do. am in a school based nursery with 30 children each session. just been 2 of us up to now but about to get third person. hooray.

Hiya, I am a bit of a planning maniac.... the planning I've attached is hugely cut down from what I was doing...

for a number of weeks we stopped nearly all whole group time as an experiment.... it didn't work, we also lost the rota for staff to be responsible for each area, as the team felt we didn't need to know where to be to support the children, it should be obvious... well that didn't work either... some activities had no support, some too much, snack bar didn't open... so back to rota again :o lets see how it goes.

Carla x (p.s. around 35 children on role from September, some every day some only 1/2 sessions per week) mon/wed/thurs lunch club and wedesday am and pm session so some stay all day.... max 26 in a session)

I am the same Carla...I have cut mine down...but work better with it all spelt out in black and white (and other colours) - I think your planning looks great and if it works for you and your team that is the main thing...it's key to planning finding the personal touch that suits all involved....aaaaaw a fellow planning maniac! :oxD

I think your planning looks fabulous and WAY better than mine. We seem to have gone the same way as you before in not really planning anything, to go with the flow and found that we didn't do anything particularly worth while. Staff are feeling dispondent and feed up so we have decided to go back to some loose planning. Can I borrow your charts and add to etc. They are the best I have seen ???

I would put on some smiley faces here but I can not work out how to do it !! Can any one help ??

Lardylady

These are brilliant thank you so much for sharing, they will be a big help when I start my new role in September, it will help me to explain what I want us to achieve if I have some examples to show the team

Clare xxxx

Hi - have not downloaded your plans yet, but I just wanted to comment on what you said about themes. We to have not had themes for the last year, and I agree totally with you re super hero play - you do need to have something else sometimes which once inplimented may lead of into other interests. Really great when resources are shared. Dot :o

Thank you for sharing these. They will be very useful examples for the students on my DPP course. Well done for trying new approaches, reflecting on them and changing your practice accordingly. This is exactly what I tell my students good settings should do but not every setting is prepared to go on that journey.

thanx for you're lovely comments... I get so much help from this forum, it's good to know that I can help someone occasional!

Planning looks great but can i just ask how you record childrens choice, what activities they have chosen themselves.... this is an area i'm finding hard to achieve... knowing how much to put out and how much for them to choose what to have out.... hope this makes sense?????

Thanks for sharing those

I especially love your LTP and links to EYFS themes - I had a go at doing that last sept but mine isn't as good as yours so will pinch for next year if thats ok

Some useful food for thought here. Thanks for sharing. We used to put this much EYFS 'stepping stone' info into ours, but dropped that last year in favour of retrospective 'marking'. We found that sometimes we'd plan something with a specific focus but when it happened it was totally different and we'd loads of notes to re-write. So now we leave that bit blank except for evaluation of the activity. We note in each child's file what they gained from the activity, then it's individual and we can see where more support is needed

thats sounds good possum and in a way how I would like to do it... but some of the team are still unsure of what to look for when assessing children so it's used as guidance of what we may see...

simcity - Each keyworker observes their own group of children over the week for what significant learning/choices for play are made, and feed back during reflection meeting on a Tuesday after session. :)

Hiya, I am a bit of a planning maniac.... the planning I've attached is hugely cut down from what I was doing...

for a number of weeks we stopped nearly all whole group time as an experiment.... it didn't work, we also lost the rota for staff to be responsible for each area, as the team felt we didn't need to know where to be to support the children, it should be obvious... well that didn't work either... some activities had no support, some too much, snack bar didn't open... so back to rota again :o lets see how it goes.

Carla x (p.s. around 35 children on role from September, some every day some only 1/2 sessions per week) mon/wed/thurs lunch club and wedesday am and pm session so some stay all day.... max 26 in a session)

are you in a private/day care nursery or a school based nursery?

thats sounds good possum and in a way how I would like to do it... but some of the team are still unsure of what to look for when assessing children so it's used as guidance of what we may see...

We're getting quite familiar with the statements now and if one of us doesn't know, someone else does. I don't know about anyone else, (and a bit off topic for which I apologise in advance) but who else hears children around them in shops and thinks to themself "hmm, showing interest in print in the environment, great, recognising numerals of personal significance fantastic"

We're getting quite familiar with the statements now and if one of us doesn't know, someone else does. I don't know about anyone else, (and a bit off topic for which I apologise in advance) but who else hears children around them in shops and thinks to themself "hmm, showing interest in print in the environment, great, recognising numerals of personal significance fantastic"

I'm afraid to say I have been heard to say ....in family situations ..."oh you know what that is ? That's .." and then I realise everyone thinks I have gone completely mad! :o

oh my goodness - I'm glad I'm not the only one.

sometimes I think I wish I had been so knowledgeable when my daughters were little but other times I'm glad I wasn't, Im glad I just enjoyed their play and development rather than analysing it

Edited by Guest

has anyone seen the new MacDonalds advert where the children are "busy doing nothing working the whole day through..."

they are 'looking at shapes in the environment' LOL!!

lol when my baby son spills his yoghurt on his highchair and starts messing in it, my mum rushes over saying "no, no, messy, oh dear", but I'm busily saying "ooo look early mark making" and when he grins after putting food in his mouth using a spoon, I keep thinking "can show a sense of pride in his achievements" lol, I didn't do that with my 12 and 10 year old he he.

Thanx again everyone.

Carla x

In september we are starting to use PLODS !!! Has anyone else used this format for planning ?

In september we are starting to use PLODS !!! Has anyone else used this format for planning ?

We do...Ive looked for some examples from Pen Green CC, who I think started it, but it was a struggle and all I could find was a diagram in Tina Bruce and Caroline Meggits's Child care and education (2nd Ed) pg 385 so we kind of do it our own way.

We have a sheet with the 6 areas on it then we consider the main interests / preferences of the child in question, brainstorm ideas from their interests (anything and everything goes!) and then we fit those ideas into the areas that are most appropriate.

That PLOD sheet is then the blueprint for activity ideas for that child and it gets added to or areas are highlighted as we think of more ideas, or to record what we have done (or the child has initiated).

When we focus on a child and an area of learning we can refer to the PLOD and pick a selection of ideas (resources / activities) that may be appropriate for that child.

Still a bit experimental at present! How are you planning to do it?

wow you planning is amazing, we don't do nearly as much planning anymore and we haven't done a long term plan since the EYFS started.

samfrostie :o

Very comprensive plans but i would just like to add where are the children's choices?

how do you know that the children will be interested in the theme that is in your plans for the year ahead

do the children have a say in the plans?

we to are a pack away i would not have the room for all those bits of paper, im glad that you have

i hope it works for you, as all settings are different which is why everyones planning is different

Very comprensive plans but i would just like to add where are the children's choices?

how do you know that the children will be interested in the theme that is in your plans for the year ahead

do the children have a say in the plans?

we to are a pack away i would not have the room for all those bits of paper, im glad that you have

i hope it works for you, as all settings are different which is why everyones planning is different

The children are new in September so have not made choices yet... did you read the whole thread? the plans are totally flexible and guided by the children but in a year of going completely child led we found that they missed out on valuable experiences so now the Long Term and Medium Term are back as guidelines to use around what the children choose if you look at the long term plan you will see that their is hardly anything planned, the festivals are 'if' we want to use them and the role play/books etc can be moved around at anytime, I just want to make sure we use them at some point over the year.

After our first week back we introduce children's planning time to the new starters and every week they will have opportunity to plan. The medium term plan for 2nd half term will be way more child led than the first....

We are totally pack away, planning is in folders.. each week I display the short term plan on cardboard packaway display boards, our landlords inform us that 'not a trace' of children is to be left. We are not allowed displays or anything on the walls.

I arrive at 7am every morning to set up with a colleague prior to breakfast club beginning at 8am.

(may not make any sense, just woke up and not had a cup of tea yet)

off to work at this am for team meeting :)

Carla

Wow carla, they are phenomenal!! Thanks so much for sharing. I feel truly inspired to get on with the next assignment in my DPP course which is planning!!!!!

PLODS - there is an example somewhere either on the EYFS Cd or on the standards website, I can't remember the title, it is something like 'BN Nursery planning' I will have a look and come back.

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)