Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Project Ideas

jam17

we had a good display about sharks. bought an inflatable one from ebay and some sharks teeth and we researched the different types on the internet

We made our own SeaLife Centre in my reception class where we made large sharks, octupus etc and had them hanging from the ceiling so it was like being in the sea. (we are lucky to have 1 near so visited a real one aswel). We made them by drawing and painting them then stuffing them using newspaper so they were more 'lifelike'! The children drew/painted lots of pictures and we had information books and boards in the sealife centre along with a touch pool using our underwater plastic creatures!

Mermaid cave could also be really good but not done that one myself yet!

Oh and we made great jellyfish with junk and clay, and measured by lying on the grass how long 18 metres is as we'd no concept of how big the biggest shark is!

We made our own SeaLife Centre in my reception class where we made large sharks, octupus etc and had them hanging from the ceiling so it was like being in the sea. (we are lucky to have 1 near so visited a real one aswel). We made them by drawing and painting them then stuffing them using newspaper so they were more 'lifelike'! The children drew/painted lots of pictures and we had information books and boards in the sealife centre along with a touch pool using our underwater plastic creatures!

Mermaid cave could also be really good but not done that one myself yet!

I have done this topic too and turned outside playhouse into 'Under the Sea' world - lots of shells and toy sea creatures, fish and seaweed we made hanging from ceiling, transparent fish on windows, and mermaid/merman costumes to dress up in. I linked it into Disney's 'The little mermaid' as several of the children were obsessed with the film at the time! Children enjoyed reading story, dancing to music and creating mermaid pictures (hand print tails). Also linked into 'The rainbow fish' story so lots of opportunities for PSE, discussion about sharing etc. Lovely craft for this is to cut fish shapes out of coffee filter paper, decorate with felt tips and then paint with water so colours blend - v pretty results and good for very young children. There are a lot of websites with ideas for this book too.

Another good book is Dougal's deep sea diary - lots of lovely illustrations including Atlantis!

When we turned our clasroom into the ocean, we also used green crepe paper cut into strips to act as seaweed and draped them from the ceiling.

Enjoy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)