Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term Planning

Hi all I know saturday night nothing on telly so sitting here playing on the laptop and thinking about september.

Anyway I am in Reception and have got the continuous provision up and running and think we have planning short term sorted. I've got our overall long term plan in place really just teh areas of ELG that we will cover 1/2 term. Last Year we had an overall topic area Myself adn favourite things, All around and Living things. We then mind mapped and got the children to think about what they wanted to learn. So we are getting there. We just need to now have just an overall long term plan for things like RE and mulitcutural (an area we do need to work on) that we do need to cover and say things like PE.

So was just wondering if anyone has got a long term plan that just shows how they map out certain things that they will cover. In RE/Mutlicultural we have Harvest, Diwaili, Christmas, Hannukah, Noah. Was just thinking about good stories to for mutlicultural and RE for the younger children.

I have tried a forum search and resource search thought i have seen a thread before anyway have attached what i did last year

Topics.doc

RE.SEAL.doc

Edited by eggwoman

its awful... saturday night and we are online thinking about work!!!

sorry Im cannot help with your planning but jsut wanted to say your not alone, and the way I look at it the sooner these tasks are done and out the way the sooner I can relax without the feeling of something hanging over me.

Edited by Alison

I know and here i am sunday morning!! Just off to a Christening so a distraction for the whole day.

The main reason i want to have everything in place is we are due the big O when we go back straight away. I know Oftsed have changed some of their criteria and EY has its own section in the 4 sections of the report. We got Good last time and our 3 years is sept but as we got Good last time not sure if they will leave us longer as it says under their guidance to 5 years so we have to assume it will be when we get back also we have a new head starting in september.

I have noticed lots of people have downloaded my planning that i curently do. Any ideas do you anything different?

Well I've just downloaded them now - so not had chance to look properly yet - but at first glance they look good and you've put a lot of effort into them.

I have noticed lots of people have downloaded my planning that i curently do. Any ideas do you anything different?

I have just downloaded them - I think they're great - thank you so much for sharing!

Sunnyday

QUOTE (eggwoman @ Jul 29 2009, 19:23)

I have noticed lots of people have downloaded my planning that i currently do. Any ideas do you do anything different?

I think your topics planning looks really good and I especially like the way in which you have incorporated the four aspects of the EYFS into your planning. Something which I am working on myself at the moment.

Well done

Thank you :o

Was worried a bit as no-one had said anything. I hope i am on the right track. So I will just have my long term planning and then go from there.

How do people fit RE in. We are not a church school but you do have to do RE, do you plan for it alongside PSE or seperate from PSE?

As a Preschool we do incorporate different cultures into our year, the main festivals of Hanukkah, Chinese New Year, Diwali, etc. At 2 - 4+, children aren't aware of their own cultures, never mind considering other's, so it's mainly about broadening viewpoints and horizons - for parents, just as much as for children

It is so difficult. Multi cultural is an area we do need to develop. We are a fairly 'white' village school tucked away from it all and the children are not very aware of anything other than their surrounding area. If they go on holiday it is either camping or spain. Our parents are not very culturally aware and they do not seem to venture far (not many people leave the village to move) which is like what you said i suppose Cait broading not just childrens but parents viewpoints too.

I wondered whether just to plan just a story in and go from that.

It is so difficult. Multi cultural is an area we do need to develop. We are a fairly 'white' village school tucked away from it all and the children are not very aware of anything other than their surrounding area. If they go on holiday it is either camping or spain. Our parents are not very culturally aware and they do not seem to venture far (not many people leave the village to move) which is like what you said i suppose Cait broading not just childrens but parents viewpoints too.

I wondered whether just to plan just a story in and go from that.

I can identify completely with this..........we are, for the most part 'white British'....completely from September.......this is not through choice but demographics......Ofsted viewpoint on this is that that makes it all the more important to 'cover' this area...but as Cait said when your children are pre-school age........

Stories are useful, we have made large children collage efforts for a wall display, posters, puzzles....but I know I need to do more.......

Edited by sunnyday

I enjoyed looking at the festivals shop - it made me realise how far we are removed from multiculturalism in our 100% white British Preschool. We do try, and like others have said, it's about widening everyone's horizons and viewpoints.

Some good posters in publications wouldn't go amiss, and they'd certainly help with LTP and STP.

These are great by the way, sorry, I got them the other day and have been looking at them in light of what we do. Which is broadly similar of course, but in the 6 areas of learning, rather than the 4 areas. Something to consider as this looks simpler

Hi,

Just had to add my "twopenneth" to this thread.

We are a Church school, so are expected to teach RE (supposedly for one hour) :o on a weekly basis. It has to be planned for on my weekly timetable. I always struggle with the best time, but usually can cover some sections of the RE syllabus using story or drama

The children are also expected to go into Assemblies as soon as is possible (Reception children I am talking about). I have been teaching at this school for four years now, and every year and try to explain to the HT that the Assemblies are not really appropriate for very young children - but I am losing the will to live, as all she says is "well, they are part of the school and need to attend" - what can I do??? Just watch whilst thirty very small children sit and wonder what exactly they are doing sitting in this big hall, with an awful lot of older and bigger children, listening to something they don't understand.

Regarding your concerns about multicultural education, I agree that it is difficult if you are a mainly white cohort, we are lucky in that we have a good mix and it certainly makes the whole area more meaningful if you have children in your class from different cultures. Is there no-one at your local LEA who can advise regarding visitors who could maybe come into school. I remember once, when I was in a similar situation to yours, when it was Chinese New Year we had a lady who came in and worked with each class in turn, providing activities appropriate to the age group. It was a lovely day and the children really learned a lot.

Thanks very much for your planning - it certainly seems a good idea to do this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)