Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Responses In Assemblies

Hi,

Firstly, please move this to a better location, as unsure where to post.

I am now in charge of Collective Worship at my school - and thinking back to things previous schools have done, before the RE inspectors came in - we used to have a response at the beginning or end of assembly. Something along the lines of the teacher saying... peace be with you, and the children responding... and also with you.

now I know this is the proper peace that is said in church - and wanted something a bit different. Does anyone have any suggestions of something we could use (prefereably as non-God as possible - for a church school, the staff are athetists, and feel it hypocritical to be too religious in this bit)

Thanks for any suggestions,

Emily

I suppose my initial reaction would be that if you are a Church school then it is appropriate to mention God whether staff are atheist or not! The ethos of the church school is built on Christian foundations and one would expect to have God in the picture!

There is a good song by Stephen Fischbacher (Fischy Music - www.fischy.com) called "May you find peace" and the words are may you find peace, hope, love, joy, rest etc. It is on a couple of his CDs and would be good as a way of passing on those blessings to others around. (and it doesn't mention God!)

We solved the awful 'Good morning' followed by the children chanting it back in the really dull way they do, by greeting them differently every day, and the children saying whatever it was back with the same intonation. We discussed this with the children. Similarly, sometimes at the end it would be something like 'Have a good day everyone' or 'enjoy your learning today' etc. That is a collective wish without it being specifically religious.

• 2 weeks later...
We solved the awful 'Good morning' followed by the children chanting it back in the really dull way they do, by greeting them differently every day, and the children saying whatever it was back with the same intonation. We discussed this with the children. Similarly, sometimes at the end it would be something like 'Have a good day everyone' or 'enjoy your learning today' etc. That is a collective wish without it being specifically religious.

Thanks for idea Jacqui, what sort of greetings do you say at the start of the assemblies ?

for a church school, the staff are athetists, and feel it hypocritical to be too religious in this bit)

Who's the assembly for? The adults or the children?!!!!

I used to make up responses based on the theme of my assembly (although thinking about it they probably all boiled down to "we are all friends" in the final analysis!).

So I read story about good samaritan type person - I would say something like Lord we have listened to your words and then the response would be " help us to see others in need" or something like that. So my bit stayed the same but the children got to reflect on the core teaching etc etc.

Any good??

Cx

• 2 weeks later...

When I read the title of this thread, it made me think of a little boy I had in my class this year. Each assembly, without fail, no matter how many times myself or the head spoke to him about it, he would call out a comment on what the head was talking about. He was not phased by the fact the entire school was in there just really wanted to be involved! He scored really well on PSED in his profile, as he had a really good sense of self and of others - he really was very emotionally mature in many ways. My head gently argued this with me, as she felt he couldn't score well if he was unaware of when it was and was not appropriate to contribute ideas and comments. Anyway, at the end of the year, he brought a lovely present to school for the head, with a card that said, 'I gave you this because you do such good assemblies' ! It really struck me that none of those other quiet children had felt this - and their silence may well have been indicative of thefact that they weren't listening anyway!

Made me chuckle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)