Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planting

sunnyday

Hi all

I have just bought a 'paper potter' from - http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk

Looks great - the idea is that using this the children can make their own bio-degradable paper pots for sowing seeds.

Instructions say - cut dry newspaper into strips - roll strips loosely around potter and roughly fold over excess paper - press potter onto base - turn - plant seedlings or sow seeds directly - paper pot will bio-degrade when transplanted to garden.

Looks like fun and no more 'plastic pots' - so very 'green' too!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

What a great idea, we have been buying the biodegradable pots but they are quite expensive. The garden creates so many creative learning ideas for the children, nothing better than dirt and mud! :o

Ah - yes, just got round to looking at it! We use toilet rolls when we sow peas and they get good long roots before we plant them out. A plus is that there's a collar of card for a bit when they are planted out which helps with watering - it makes sure the water goes down to the root. If you do use the toilet roll or the paper collar method you'll need to pack them tight together in a seed tray or gratnell tray while you bring them on, or the cardboard/paper collapses when it gets good and soggy

Ah - yes, just got round to looking at it! We use toilet rolls when we sow peas and they get good long roots before we plant them out. A plus is that there's a collar of card for a bit when they are planted out which helps with watering - it makes sure the water goes down to the root. If you do use the toilet roll or the paper collar method you'll need to pack them tight together in a seed tray or gratnell tray while you bring them on, or the cardboard/paper collapses when it gets good and soggy

Toilet roll middles Cait.....I understood we were not meant to use them.....H&S......

Toilet roll middles Cait.....I understood we were not meant to use them.....H&S......

HAHA you've not looked at the H&S site - urban myth apparently! If they are clean they are ok. We use the preschool ones - we've all handled them anyway!

Sometimes children are asked to bring them in for specific things, and we put their name in them to make sure they get their own - just to be on the safe side.

Aha...thanks for that .... but ...... I still like the idea of the children making their own little pots xD

Much more exciting than loo rolls, I agree! If we buy a gadget we can keep the loo rolls to make binoculars with! :o

What a great site sunnyday: thanks. The tools look good and sturdy and not that expensive, given that they'll probably outlast most of the cheaper ones we have! Feel a little splurge coming on... :o

Maz

What a great site sunnyday: thanks. The tools look good and sturdy and not that expensive, given that they'll probably outlast most of the cheaper ones we have! Feel a little splurge coming on... :o

Maz

Oh a woman after my own heart...I love a good 'splurge'...

Oh a woman after my own heart...I love a good 'splurge'...

Well I've just spotted where it is sunnyday: I may feel the need for a visit during the holidays! How many Kenters do you think I can meet in one day?

Maz

Well I've just spotted where it is sunnyday: I may feel the need for a visit during the holidays! How many Kenters do you think I can meet in one day?

Maz

Funnily enough...I have never actually 'been' there......but have bought several items online.......

Let me know when you're coming!!!