Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Art Exhibition

Just got to tell you about the great night we had last night; we held an Art Exhibition.

We are part of a big organisation, but with only 6 nurseries. Our charity of the year is Help the Hospices. Quite a while ago I had an idea of organising an art exhibition but never really followed it through anyway thought it would be an ideal way to raise money for the charity. We bought square shaped canvases, one for each child, who were then encouraged to paint whatever they wanted (with strict instructions to the baby room that it was not to be hands and feet; I wanted masterpieces!!), the older ones told us what they were painting. We also bought 5 larger canvases and each room had a hand in making a joint masterpiece.

We cleared out the cloakroom area of the nursery, fortunately the walls are white so we just covered all displays with white paper, giving the impression of a blank canvas then very professionally looking (using blue tack!!) hung the canvases and named them "A Fire Engine by Jim aged 4, or for the younger ones we just put the name and age. We didnt hang them in groups we mixed them all up so that everyone had to look at everyones to find their child's one!!. We displayed the bigger canvases in the foyer and invited people to make a silent bid for them. We sent personal invites to the children's homes. We had cheeses, wine etc. Quite a few parents came and quite a few parents who couldn't make it bought on the way out and no doubt more mater pieces will be bought next week.

Last night we reckon we made £200 with one of the silent bids being £60!!! What a huge success, we reckon we will have made about £500 for the charity and that includes taking £1 away for the cost of the canvases! Parents loved it and some got quite emotional!!

My girls worked really hard getting it ready and we didnt wear uniform, we dressed up; the nursery was buzzing once the last child left till the parents arrived (and smelled quite strongly on deodorant, perfume, hairspray etc) and so was a great team building exercise too; I'm really proud of them!

Congratulations! That sounds amazing and I'm only sorry I couldn't have been a fly on the wall!

Did you take any pictures you can show us?

What a fantastic idea - I'm sure we could all adapt it to raise money either for our own settings, or for a favourite charity!

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Maz

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in posting these photos but with the odd case of swine flu and then playing catch up it has taken me a while to get round to it!

Attached (I hope) are some photos of our Art Exhibition. The photo with the 5 pictures on easels in our foyer shows the pictures done by all of the children in their respective rooms (we have 5 rooms hence 5 pictures), we auctioned them by silent auction and those 5 paintings alone raised £145!! I've also attached a photo showing some of the masterpieces and how we displayed them and the 3rd one shows how we set the area up to display them. We reckon we will have raised approx £450-£500 if all of the paintings go; a who couldn't buy their child's masterpiece??!!

A brilliant night!!

post-11849-1249647613_thumb.jpg

post-11849-1249647788_thumb.jpg

post-11849-1249647982_thumb.jpg

post-11849-1249648791_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Fantastic idea, great pics :oxD

Maybe you should send this 'story' to Nursery World, as well as sharing this lovely idea with more practitioners, you may also win 'letter of the week' and win some books for the Nursery too. :(

(I suggest this because I won some a few years ago when I described and sent a picture of one of my divider displays)

Peggy

We got the small ones from Wilkinsons on line, they worked out at £1 each and the bigger ones we got from the 99p shop for..........99p!!

We got the small ones from Wilkinsons on line, they worked out at £1 each and the bigger ones we got from the 99p shop for..........99p!!

Thanks.

Wish I had a preschool again to do such a lovely event. :o

Peggy