Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who's In This Job For Money Or The Enjoyment Of Working With Child

Hi all thought start this thread see how many people are in this job for the money (yes i know the wage not that great ) or the fact they enjoy working with children . I myself enjoy the working with children see how there confidence grow how they develop in thier skills the laughter they bring along .I give more than one hundred percent and happy to do things out of my hours to help make life for the little one while they are at pre school much fun as possible .After all who knows what some of there lifes are like at home . pre school is exstended family to me in my eyes its job you ve got enjoy not just see it as m easy money making ( i no that its not as u all do ) . Anyway love hear your views on why you chose this career was it money fits around your children or being with children do you give your all to the job ?.Many thanks bubblybee x

Edited by bubblybee3107

I am a teacher as it is something I have wanted to do since the age of 4.... no-one was ever able to talk me out of it. I love the job and give it my all.... I hate to work out how many hours a week I actually do... time making resources, finding exciting activities and opportunities.... there is nothing else I would rather do.

I am a little sad and excited to be leaving the profession this summer- but not for Money- but for starting my own family.... but I know that one day I will return to the profession. Not in a full time roll as I am now, but as part time or supply.

We have the most rewarding job, watching children grow and develop every day, yes there are stressful times, and times I have wondered why I do it, but then something happens and you know that you could never leave.

I always say to everyone I work with, if we billed the pre school for every hour of our time we contribute then they wouldnt be able to afford us, so no never have, never will be motivated by money (which helps because we earn peanuts). However oneday it would be nice to feel the government values what we do and with raising professionalism through EYPS we are paid accordingly.

Lorna, congratulations on your impending motherhood! Best job in the world!! 'scuse me for asking, but you seem to have 3 little peas smiling out of your pod..... are you having multiples?! :) That's like your own little class in the making. Good luck and enjoy your well earned break.

Edited by Guest

Easy one to answer .........

I love my job......I see it as an absolute privilege to be a part of children's lives.

One of the many kind sentiments written in cards that I was given yesterday:

Dear xxxxx,

There are no words to express the gratitude my family and I have for you.

Your influence will stay with my boys forever.

Thank you so much

etc.etc.

Isn't that lovely? I have just said goodbye to the third and last little boy from this family>

I do think that we all deserve much better pay........but the thought that we can make a 'difference' however small is reward enough for me!

Sorry - rambled on a bit there - so what's new!!!

Sunnyday

Sorry, I can hardly type this for the maniacal laughter which is reverberating around the room as I contemplate why anyone would do my job for the money!

When I've stopped laughing I shall come back and read what everyone else thinks!

Maz

Sorry, I can hardly type this for the maniacal laughter which is reverberating around the room as I contemplate why anyone would do my job for the money!

When I've stopped laughing I shall come back and read what everyone else thinks!

Maz

:wacko: :oxD:(:(:( That's me joining in!

Definetly for the children :o ....don't you just love them....it's the adults that I find so complicated!

LORNA - what fantastic news....CONGRATULATIONS! i AM A MOTHER OF FIVE CHILDREN AND IT IS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD.....i HAD TWO AT ONCE BUT THREE....YOU LUCKY LADY!!!

Edited by Guest

well I know its definately not for the money...... what money?

ok yes I do get paid but if you work out the actual hours worked its crazy I know I make a rod for my own back as I am the one who sets the wages and the session fees but when parents come with the sob stories of how tight money is it makes it so difficult to put the fees up any higher.... like I dont need the money??

but when I started in the job it was voluntary and our wage was what ever was left over at the end of the term after all the bills were paid when minimum wage came along wow we had a pay rise!!!

My hubby reads the paper and spots advisors jobs paying silly money and keeps saying why dont you go for that? and I say its not the money its the children no-one would do what I do for the money I get Im working on increasing the wages slowly over time but it all takes time

Well I would say definately not for the money.

Its the inspiration that I get from the children each and every day, its knowing what I do makes a difference to the children and when I walk home each night happy and smiling as I think about what a great time ive had.

jojom x

Definitely for the children!!

Some weeks I work out my childminding accounts and realise I have spent more than I've charged :o

At this time of year though, when all the parents of the children I've cared for from babies, share their first school reports I KNOW why I do it!! I get lovely feedback as to how confident, sociable and "ready for school" the children are which, to my mind, means I'm doing it right!!

Nona

Thankyou for all your replys , glad see that we are all in it for the children , not casue it works round our families . thankyou once again . LORNA congratulations i,m mother to five boys now ages range from 24,20,20,18, 12 belive me they best thing i,ve ever acheiverd in my life they have bought me many tears and laughter . Good luck to you and your husband you,ll say the same in years to come :oxD:( x

Congratulations Lorna - how exciting!

As for why I work with children - I adore them, have so much fun every day, never get bored, feel so proud seeing them achieve something for the first time...I love it and feel I have the best job in the world!

Does that answer your question?! lol

did the job for 21 years.. always foe the children..

at the start there was no money.. I got £1.00 a session for my pay ..

and was overjoyed when it went up to 10.00 per week...

it gradually increased slowly but was never much.. last few years it really did improve, and actually when I worked it out for a full time post the wage was not too bad.. trouble was being paid the part time hours for the full time hours I worked.

If it was for the money there would be no staff left to do the jobs...

Inge

Guest MaryEMac

Money? What Money?

Today it was the last day at primary school for the year sixes, several who had been at playgroup knocked on our door to ask if we would sign their shirts. I was touched that they wanted us to share in their last day.

Mary

well a agree, we dont cant do it for the money. Lets see, changing nappies, nurturing their development, seeing to all their needs, being mum. but when the girls get a little down hearted can understand for the minimum wage of £5.80 an hour, surely all nursery practiononers shoild be seen as in bein a professional role be paid that.

Sarah :o