Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Guest babyjane31

Guest babyjane31

After lots of thought and having put it off last year i have finally bit the bullet and enrolled on a foundation degree course starting in septemember. I know lots of you have been there, so am looking for your words of wisdom and advice, I am both very excited and very nervous!!!

Well done you!! I did mine a few years back but it was the best thing I've done in my career. Incredibly interesting and the knowledge I gained was invaluable. Hard work though - but well worth it!

ppp

Guest babyjane31

Thanks for your replies and encouragement, lesley tupper - will probablt see me in the qualifications sections asking lots of silly questions!! good luck with yours

I have finished the first year and cant believe how quickly it has gone. The homework was ok, the assignments tested me though, but then our tutors always said 'if its not challenging you, then your not learning anything new'. Well done, enjoy it, before you know it you will be thinking about year 2

Good luck and being part of this forum will be a support....everyone here will hold your hand...they have held mine and I couldn't of done it without somewhere to let off steam too!

You will love it! :oxD

Guest babyjane31

Thanks again am beginning to get really excited about it now, I am studying part time at a local uni on a day release basis considered OU but don't think i am disiplined enough i work best with deadlines. Hoping I am going to be be able to manage okay,working full time as pre-school manager and mum to 3 young children is going to be tough I think but I am determined to work it out. Am banking on lots of help and support from this forum with the hope that I might also be able to offer some help to others at the same time!

• 4 weeks later...

I also start my course in September and am NERVOUS! I guess it is the fear of the unknown......... This forum will be my saving I hope lol

Good Luck I hope we can stay in touch

Jan x :o

After lots of thought and having put it off last year i have finally bit the bullet and enrolled on a foundation degree course starting in septemember. I know lots of you have been there, so am looking for your words of wisdom and advice, I am both very excited and very nervous!!!

I am a childminder who has done the first year in my foundation degree . I attended two nights per week and found that it takes committment on your part but it can be done. My advice is to remember that childminders do work differently to other settings but that we can all learn from each other. If you have other childminders on the course share your thoughts. Unfortunately I am the only childminder on my course but I have been really lucky and found another student who I can discuss ideas with. Good luck, you will enjoy the satisfaction when you pass your assignments. :o

I completed the FD last year and am just about to start on the 2nd year of the BA(Hons) top up. I can honestly say I have loved every minute of it; well ok maybe not the finance module haha!! In a perverse kind of way I'm dreading it finishing because I know I'll miss doing it, as I have missed it over the summer!!

Its worth doing if for no other reason than experiencing graduation day which is fantastic, I loved it and felt a whole range of emotions in 1 day, happy, proud, and yes I cried!!!!!

Good luck with your course those of you who are just starting, enjoy and relish every minute !!

• 2 weeks later...

hiya

I am also starting my foundations degree in September and I am very very nervous! lol

I am also enrolling in September but now I am unsure if I did the right thing....I am worried I wont cope...I am sure you will be fine, ignore me its pure fear lol

After making the decision to study Foundation Degree with the Open University was dismayed to find out that you need to have a level 4 qualification. I presumed (something which my husband says I do too much of) that you would be able to study with the OU with a Level 3 qualification. mrsW.x

Oh and good luck babyjane31 with your studies, I am sure you will do well.x

Edited by Guest

How strange Buttercup. Thanks for letting me know. I called the OU a couple of weeks ago and asked about starting the Foundation Degree and was told that because I was not Level 4 I could not do it. Maybe I will give them a ring again, thanks. mrsW.x

I am a childminder who has done the first year in my foundation degree . I attended two nights per week and found that it takes committment on your part but it can be done. My advice is to remember that childminders do work differently to other settings but that we can all learn from each other. If you have other childminders on the course share your thoughts. Unfortunately I am the only childminder on my course but I have been really lucky and found another student who I can discuss ideas with. Good luck, you will enjoy the satisfaction when you pass your assignments. :o

I am also a childminder beginning my course in september and I wiill admit one of my concerns is that being a childminder I will not have the knowledge or understanding that nurseries have so i am worried it will be difficult. Reading your input it helped but time will tell lol

I am also a childminder beginning my course in september and I wiill admit one of my concerns is that being a childminder I will not have the knowledge or understanding that nurseries have so i am worried it will be difficult. Reading your input it helped but time will tell lol

Oh stepz5678! Probably one of the first things you'll learn is that your knowledge and experience and expertise is every bit as valid as anyone else's on the course! Also that you'll have a lot to teach your fellow learners.

The Foundation Degree is great for sharing ideas and exploring what best practice and quality looks like from the child's point of view, and backing all this up with theory and research.

Remember that we're all here to reassure you when you're not sure about something or to give support about assignments when you need to talk through your ideas. Lot of us have done the Foundation Degree and not only survived to tell the tale but have emerged more confident about our own practice and philosophies about our work.

I'm sure you will too!

Maz

Hi Buttercup, can I ask what you did to enroll with OU for Foundation Degree with Level 3 qualification. I am still having problems. Any help (from anyone) gratefully received, mrsW.x

just had a look on website cannot see anything about qualifications. I have started with ezl 123 and 124 and will be doing e115 next. looking at the website i think i sent an enquiry through email they sent a form which i sent back. Can honestly say i do not remember having to write all my qualifications if anything just tick boxes. perhaps i ticked the wrong box.

sorry not to get back to you sooner Buttercup. It was my mistake and after speaking to a very helpful woman at OU on Tuesday have worked out where I went wrong (I think!). I think the last person I spoke to at the OU was referring to credit transfer and what she meant (I just didn't get at the time) was that you could not use your Level3 towards your Foundation Degree. So apologies if I have confused you, I certainly managed to confuse myself!! Good luck with your degree, mrsW.x

oh thats great you made me question what I had done and whether i got on the course under false pretences. Glad you managed to sort it. I have got two essays to finish in the next two weeks. finding it hard at the moment as like you have not done anything for a long time. also enjoying it in an odd way.

all the best