Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Odd? Any Experience?

I was just wondering if any one has any experience of Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

I've got a child starting in Sept with this diagnosis and have not come across it before.

Thanks

Edited by becs08

Wow that sounds like fun!

Sorry that's not helpful at all........wishing you luck!

Have you 'googled'?

Sunnyday

Having read Marions following post I have come back to apologise for being light-hearted - sorry

Edited by sunnyday

Ive just had a child diagnosed with this. He had lots of behaviour issues, many of which were out of his control and also showed signs of ADHD and impulsivity. A delightful little chap but also very difficult to manage in any situation. He definitely liked to be in control.

If this is a formal diagnosis you need to ask for help and advice. Id be surprised if he didnt have a statement.

Wasn't there a child in the news very recently with this disorder,

I was just thinking the same thing. Wasn't it a 12yr old who had been expelled from several schools and was in trouble in the local neighbourhood and Mum had done all she could and more :o

This definitely sounds like something you need to be well prepared for! Hence your post on the forum, of course.

I would be looking for as much professional advice as possible before he starts to make sure you are using the most successful strategies from day one.

Wishing you the very best of luck with this little chap.

My friend is having problems with her 4 year old and it has been suggested that he has this disorder, so I will be following this thread with interest to see if there are any hints or tips I can pass on, she is at the end of her tether somedays :o

I recently read something in a magazine about it, but it was very little, basically saying that the 6 year old child in the case study argued that black was white and was not willing to anything that was suggested to him. When talking about this particular child they had said that he was very disruptive in school and tore up school books etc.

Sorry if this puts the fear of god into you Becs08, that is certainly not my intention.

As others have suggested, a google search would broaden your knowledge. Please let us know how it goes, obviously without breaking confidentiality of course.

Good luck on your search for more info!

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. The child is a little girl funnily enough. I'm not scared so don't worry. I'm actually SENCo aswell so I am definately out for any support we can get. We are waiting for the statement to come through.

I am just going to start by being very positive and putting clear boundaries in place - something that I think may have been missing in the past. Also on a positive note she had four good transition meetings in school last term so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mummyspud - I hope your friend gets all the help, support and advice she needs. If I find anything that works over the next term I will let you know.

Becs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)